D&D General Never seen this in a published module before. You?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Found this in one of my all-time favorite modules, but never really noticed or thought to much about it before, despite having run it more than once and read it many times. I just can't recall a published module suggesting the DM playtest an encounter before running it, using the PCs they plan to run it for? Anyone else ever seen something similar or other weird directions in a module?

160146937_435588990839955_6807561487698744409_n.jpg

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Found this in one of my all-time favorite modules, but never really noticed or thought to much about it before, despite having run it more than once and read it many times. I just can't recall a published module suggesting the DM playtest an encounter before running it, using the PCs they plan to run it for? Anyone else ever seen something similar or other weird directions in a module?

View attachment 134126
You could probably test it by disguising it as some other encounter & just letting it zip along once you have a feel.
Edit don't think I've ever seen the suggestion though

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've seen plenty of advice that designers playtest published modules, but not a published module advising the DM to playtest the encounter!

ccs

41st lv DM
Oh yeah. N1 is the only one I remember discussing actually playtesting things, but I've seen similar advice in various other 1e/Basic era modules. Advice on changing things up/down based on party strength, ideas on what to do if the party takes certain courses of action, a suggestion for how to link I6 & I10 together for an even harder challenge*....

*my favorite
Though I've always loved the designers discussion about how parties tend to operate in U2 in regards concerning the PCs slaughtering the lizardman colony. :)

Remove ads