Neverwinter Nights.. Are you still playing this

Holy Bovine

First Post
For those having difficulty with the Toolset( or think it is too hard or too much work). I suggest you try out this .

It a complete tutorial that will walk you through just about everything you can do with the toolset including scripting dialogue.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Speaker said:
Is it PnP quality? No. But we knew that going in.

It allows for limitless creativity in moderation. And this is the delightful contradiction that keeps me working on one module after another, trying to learn as much as I can as soon as I can, so that when I truly apply the skills I learn, I will make a game that may, for a while, capture and hold the interest of its players.

Just so. I am NOT a C++ programmer. But I don't have to be. The toolset is powerful enough, and there are plenty of tutorials, that I don't have to code to create a module. If I plan to DM it, then I don't even have to do that much work...just learn to use the client. That said, there are so many excellent scripts being put up for communal use, that it's astounding. And as more wireheads put more into the community, strong modules will be released.

Furthermore, it is very similar to PNP in one specific way: play with a bad group, have a bad experience; play with a good one, have a good experience.

And just for clarification's sake: There is NO single-player game. There is a main campaign that can be played by a single-player with a computer controlled henchman...or it can be played as a group. Important difference, IMHO.

Siridar

First Post
I finished it a few weeks ago. I think it's a great game, but haven't had the time to really get involved with the toolset.

I was a bit intimidated by the toolset, specifically the scripting aspect. But then I haven't looked at it too closely either.

I'd rather stick with PnP personally.

Holy Bovine

First Post
So would most of us I think Siridar. But its not always easy for people to get together face to face, those darn Real Life things getting in the way y'know :)

NWN is the first game to really try to tackle this problem - not you can do party dynamics D&D with just about anyone else in the world! That is a huge undertaking and it seems to have paid off big just judging by the sheer quanitity of fan-based adventures that are being created.

I doubt if even the makers of the game really expected it to replace PnP - but it is a damn fine alternative!

Mithriltooth

First Post
<--- bought NWN for the single player only. :eek:

For multiplayer, I'd rather do it the old fashioned way. Ive never been a big fan of online D&D, D&D by email, Chatroom D&D, etc.
Im lucky to have the same group of players for over 10 years so Pen, Paper, and Dice here I am.

On another note, I thought the SP story was quite good.

Oberton

First Post
For the world builders, I highly recommend you download the Richard Conners documentation for the NWN site. It details the data types, functions, TYpe Casting, Targetting, Time Funcitons, Movement actions, Effects, Inventory Functions, Converstion tools, Party Functions, Journal Functions, Alignment & Diety functions, Experience tools, action functions, Get Data Functions, Money & Traps tools and ... I could go on and on...

Using the tool for building none scripted modules is just fine if you as the DM want to control all NPCS, but if you want the NPC's to act own their own you will need to script them out. This tool is very powerful and allows my old friends who live all over the world to get together and enjoy an evening togother playing D&D... Have fun and enjoy...

Game-ON

Lazybones

Adventurer
Glad to see folks enjoying the game; I've been a booster since before it came out and it has more than lived up to my expectations. I'm running three groups through my campaign module at Neverwinter Connections, but will likely scale that back to one regular game fairly soon. In fact, Warcraft III has been gathering dust in my office, waiting patiently for me to get bored with NWN.

mattcolville

Adventurer
I got about 1/4 of the way through the second chapter and put it down. Been playing WarIII ever since, never looked back. Play real D&D every Friday using the real rules, don't need bad knockoff.

Looking forward to IWDII, though. Thought IWD was way better than NWN.

Bagpuss

Legend
I can't believe the number of people that say they have played it and finished it.

There are new modules coming out everyday, some excellent online games organised by www.neverwinterconnections.com and then the whole toolset to build and run your own games online.

The single player campaign is probably the least interesting aspect of NWN. In fact so much so I've ground to a halt in the single player game just before the end of Chapter 2, I'm now using this game for online play and building my own module.

I would say "Yes for me it has replaced PnP D&D at least for the moment." as I don't currently have a pen and paper game of D&D on going (our group is playing Flashing Blades instead).

I'm currently in a regular NWN campaign every Sunday run by Lazybones, and when I get cable I will start hosting my own NWN campaign. So I'll be having 2 NWN games to one PnP RPG.

I think the problem some people are having with NWN is they are treating it like any other Computer RPG. They aren't trying to do anything new. There play style is like they would play Half-Life or Diablo online, IE: They switch on there computer and try and find a game online.

NWN shouldn't be played like that. You want to sign up for Neverwinter Connections, and find/host a scheduled game. The fact you might schedule a game for a few nights ahead tends to reduce the number of 'Hunt/Kill/Level/Repeat' players.

Also so module writers are doing some really clever stuff with the engine like the HardCore Ruleset, bleeding rules, no respawns, no XP for monster kills (just objectives reached), etc, etc. DM'ed games (especially with multiple DMs) can be really interesting with properly interactive NPC's.

I would suggest people that have just played the single player game take a second look.

Remove ads