• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New 5e ideas

Sadrik

First Post
I posted this buried in another thread and got only a few views and zero feedback. I thought I would post this here. I put a fair amount of work into this. Below is the origin of this and the thought processes behind this.

So looking for, feedback, new ideas, additions, noted problems, what works and what does not, clarity etc.

This brainchild has come from n4tune8. The offering struck a cord with me and it is now the basis in which I view 5e D&D. These are things that I thought were very important throughout the development of the game. Low number of classes. Simple skill system. So I present my version of n4tune8 edit to the 5e rules. Below you will find some of my thought processes on why things are the way they are.

Skill: Major differences here from the RAW. Again to the good work of n4tune8. I made quite a few changes from the initial offering. I made just one skill to attack both melee and ranged. I made it a dexterity skill. Some weapons will then have a quality that allows you to use strength instead of dexterity
Proficiency: I made some changes here from n4tune8, all of the proficiencies tie back to a skill. Armor is tied to athletics skill, weapons are typed to attack skill. Spellcraft kit is devised for spellcasting. I went with this kit instead of an implement because an implement could be included in the idea of the spellcraft kit, along with material components and all other things needed for spellcasting.
Ability: Use arrays. Highest stat should be 15 because the fighter with their extra ability score enhancements because there is no cap of 20. Also, ability score boosts are always +1 to two and never +2 to one.
Race: there are 4 races and they should garner all possibilities for PCs combined within them. It is important to note that some of the more oddball races are included as Marks. A good way to include them and their complexity but also to make them extremely rare and feel special.
Characteristic: a new concept which pulls some of the concepts of races and some of the peculiar sub-classes into it. This is a way to get some interesting hooks for characters.
Background: there are a few from the races (Miner and Tinker), and one that made sense Bandit based on the Pirate but for the land. Also I weighed languages and gaming sets as half as useful as other proficiencies.
Class: four classes. They are streamlined greatly due to the astounding work of n4tune8. I streamlined the abilities further of each class. I only gave them their most iconic, the rest are moved into Archetypes. The Fighter and Rogue utilize Surge and the Mage and Mystic have max spell points used in one turn. Mages learn spells each level and then prepare from that list. Mystics have a preset list of spells based on their archetype and prepare from that list. They can both change their spells from day to day. This is very similar to what I had been considering from my previous 5e modifications.
Spell Points: This is a piece that I am uncertain about. There are many different ways to do this. The best is really up to you. This is a very simple system though. Collect SP each class level: 4 for Mage, 3 for Mystic, and 1 for Rogue.
Archetypes: I would have liked to list forty archetypes and any of them could be mixed with any other one. Alas they needed to be dependent on class. Though perhaps at some point this would be viable. If you want to be a Fighter and select Necromancer I would like to make that happen somehow. Not in this iteration though. My previous work blew up the archetypes and made the features they granted into features any class could select. I called them minor features. In this the archetypes exist. Though you could easily extrapolate a system where the archetype features are features able to be selected.
Removal of Bonus Actions: Bonus actions do not need to exist in this. This is a limitation to a certain type of actions that simply does not need to exist. They can be handled through a couple of other ways. Typically, as a part of a standard action, as a reaction, or simply a standard action.

Attachments

• New 5e.rtf
    543.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So you streamlined the streamlined version of 3.5? My initial reaction is that the changes look extensive enough to just call it a new game.

Props for recognizing attacking as a skill. Doesn't 5e take a different route though, and make attacking an item proficiency? What makes fighters unique, if you've cut back on the class abilities? My assumption is that abilities (and a preference for strength scores) are what make 5e fighters better in combat than other classes, since using a weapon with proficiency, at the same level, allows a wizard to attack as well as a fighter with his proficient weapon.

Sadrik

First Post
Props for recognizing attacking as a skill. Doesn't 5e take a different route though, and make attacking an item proficiency?
Yes, also to make this explicit, each weapon group is a proficiency too. It works a little different than in 5e. You have a base skill (attack) and then proficiencies add to that skill (martial weapons). Armor is tied with athletics skill and so on. Though you need proficiency to use it effectively (disadvantage when using your attack skill with a weapon that you do not have proficiency). This is also true with every proficiency. Every proficiency maps back to a skill. Unlike 5e where proficiencies do not map back to a skill ever.

What makes fighters unique, if you've cut back on the class abilities? My assumption is that abilities (and a preference for strength scores) are what make 5e fighters better in combat than other classes, since using a weapon with proficiency, at the same level, allows a wizard to attack as well as a fighter with his proficient weapon.
The attack skill is only offered to the fighter. There are a few Archetypes that have it as well but fighters are really the only ones that can really get a big boost in their attacking (class skill). Everyone else is limited mostly through their DEX , STR, or if they are a spellcaster they are limited by their spellcasting kit and lore or will.

Also, the fighter is very good in this. I think the argument could be better made that the rogue does not have enough. The fighter pretty much has everything that they started with intact. Note that surge have to be spent to activate fighter and rogue abilities, this is similar but different to mages and mystics who also have to spend spell points to activate spells. A level 5 fighter has 3 surge. They recover all surge on a short rest. They can make extra attacks with their surge, they can be indomitable with surge. Many of the fighter and rogue archetypes also key into surge. Fighters are very good.

Remove ads