D&D General New Baldur's Gate III Teaser Trailer

Larian Studios posted a teaser trailer for Baldur's Gate III on Twitter, showing off both apparent cutscene and gameplay footage.

Larian Studios posted a teaser trailer for Baldur's Gate III on Twitter, showing off both apparent cutscene and gameplay footage.

The trailer ends with the statement "Join us on the road to Baldur's Gate Starting June 6" This date is the first date of the Guerrilla Collective Indie Game Showcase, taking place online from June 6-8. Larian Studios is a participant in the event and previously promised Baldur's Gate III news at the showcase. This statement lends further credence to industry speculation that the big announcement will be the date of early access, and it may hint that early access will start on June 6. But it looks like we still have another week before we know for sure.

bg3sizzle.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Var

Explorer
A few points:

* In DOS2 most enemies use ranged attacks and spells. There are few, if any, melee only enemies. This reflects a broader encounter design point. Turn based games tend not to have "trash mob" fights. You don't want to slow the game down by going into turn based mode for any fight the player will win easily.

* BG1/2 do not have climbing or jumping. DOS2 has climbable ladders and vines, but it doesn't require skill checks, just movement points. What it will have is encumbrance - strength will be critically important for the amount of stuff you can carry. I wouldn't be surprised if we see minimum strength requirements for weapons and armour making a comeback too - the Baldur's Gate games and DOS games all have that. There reason they where (mostly) dropped from 5e - simplicity - doesn't really apply when the computer is keeping track. You will need a strong character to wear the heavy armour, swing the two handed weapons, and be a pack mule. Not to climb walls.

* I would be quite surprised if BG3 doesn't get a multiplayer mode. Again that is something all the Baldur's Gate games and DOS games have had.
All good points.
Stretches of DOS2 were littered with pretty boring trash mob fights (the cave system in western Act2 comes to mind), wasn't the most enjoyable thing to slog through.
Verticality is going to be interesting with jumps being available per default, but far ranging reposition abilities like DOS' Teleport, Phoenix Dive etc being very limited, costly and unavailable till the mid game in the form of Dimension Door. Same for ranged opponents, they do exist and a lot of DnD creatures have the means to attack you at range, but it's a lot less than in DOS2. Kiting and control options are also less common, but do exist. Something like high ground or a simple Grease Spell will likely have relative high impact, with opponents being unable to focus a single target or reach the backline in numbers to threaten archers, wizards and other backliners.

Heavy Armor has a STR requirement and the oversized bow from Dragon Heist is one of the few other examples. I'm very happy with the 5E system tbh, everyone can put on Plate and pick up a Maul. But your're barely able to move in them without meeting the STR requirements and Proficiency and have trouble hitting/doing damage. There's a beauty in allowing the Sorcerer to clank around with an AC of 20 at snail speed unable to cast Spells, because he totally could. Most games have stat restrictions to limit balancing concerns with stat boni on gear, 5E Rules don't have that problem so I'm completely fine with letting the 8STR Bard carry a greatsword he is incapable of wielding competently, eating up a good chunk of his carrying capacity.
This being a game I don't think ladders and ropes will count as climbing. I'd guess Athletics comes up in the form of gaps simply too wide to jump across with a 10 STR Character or when Athletics Proficiency/Climbing Speed/Spiderclimb Spell being active is required to try and interact with some scenery. Jumping usually doesn't involve a roll, that also means you don't have to deal with designing something for a failure. When a check is required, i.e. for climbing a steep wall, how'd you handle the possibility of failure? Small HP damage and allow further attempts till success? Only one attempt and the foothold crumbles on a failure? Mix and match passive stat/proficiency checks and rolls? That's going to be interesting to see in action later this week.

Would be great If BG3 does away with the usual "you can loot anything!" RPG madness. I'm all for post battle loot screens and non interactive silver plates. Scrambling around for every last coin during a game's early game Kills immersion for me. Don't make me collect every scrap just because I can and it's better to do it. Just make the wealth available by immersive means rather than petty burglary.

Which brings me to pickpocketing. Totally fine with it any RPG, steal that key without anyone noticing - if you have a sneaky guy who can pull it off, neat. Rob every NPC of their purse and pants though? Players think they want to have that option because it's somehow standard now. Why would the 3rd Level Rogue still roam the streets to rob the townsfolk though. A heist sidequest? Great. Pickpocketing the arms merchant for gear? Oh gawd why is that a thing in RPGs, DOS2 is marvelous example on how to not do it. Gating ability progression behind Skillbooks isn't my personal favorite either.

Giving player's a way to mess with an RPGs economy by stealing stuff is fortunately tied to incremental gear progression and more granular stat systems. Here's hoping there won't be magic items to buy/steal at every corner in BG3.

Verticality is going to be interesting with jumps being available per default, but far ranging reposition abilities like DOS' Teleport, Phoenix Dive etc being very limited, costly and unavailable till the mid game in the form of Dimension Door.
Misty Step. I expct to see a lot of it in BG3.

Jump spell might also get plenty of use.

Var

Explorer
Misty Step. I expct to see a lot of it in BG3.

Jump spell might also get plenty of use.
Duh, I knew I was missing an obvious level 1 Spell, thanks.

Still costs Long Rest resources, 2x Misty Step to get up a ledge and back might be pretty high utility cost depending on how ubiquitous Long Rests are. I'd assume Short Rests are tied to specific events, like combat encounters, so a Warlock could be able to pull it off as a tradeoff for being out of juice the next fight. Hmmmm... so many questions.

Oofta

Legend
Like most video games based on a TTRPG, BG3 will be making adjustments to the rules to better suit the venue. It will be interesting to see what they change, but I wouldn't assume things will work exactly the same.

2 big things from today's stream so far:

- The dialogue is in a more natural active style. I didn't necessarily hate the previous style, but I admit I do like this better.

- Initiative system is now individual, as noted from last week's video, but with a twist that I like a lot. If you have members of the party rolling initiative right next to one another, those particular characters can go in any order.

MarkB

Legend
So, they've dropped the third-person past-tense dialogue choices. That's good - it feels a lot more personal this way.

And while they've changed to individual initiatives, characters who are on adjacent initiatives effectively share the same turn, allowing for more cooperative actions.

The interface looks rather busy - allowing for all the normal options available to a D&D character in combat results in an awful lot of options to choose between. On the other hand, it does have some nice nods to the original Baldur's Gate games - many of the icons for the spells are recognisably based upon those in BG1 and 2.

One thing they're keeping from the DOS games, it seems, is Waypoint Shrines for fast travel. Not unreasonable - in a big game you need some way of getting around quickly, and these environments are a lot larger than any single map location in the older BG games.

Remove ads

Remove ads