New Campaign Setting Hint Is Eberron?

Eberron? Count me in!

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
So... is anyone going to enhance the photo so we can actually read the title in the background? That looks like a new book cover.

vogless

Explorer
I keep seeing Greyhawk dismisses as being too similar to the realms.

I think this would depend on how it was handled.

I’d like to see Greyhawk return as a large boxed set with maps done in the old Judges Guild format. No grand campaigns. One box that gives you the land, some framework and tons of little hints as to what would be found in a particular hex. That’s it. The rest is up to you.

Give a hex number where the old modules are located and have at it.

jgsugden

Legend
They could re-release the original Greyhawk box with updated stats and we'd be set for Greyhawk. I wish they'd do just that for all the campaign settings - rereleases of all of them set back in the original time frame using modern rules...

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I keep seeing Greyhawk dismisses as being too similar to the realms.

I think this would depend on how it was handled.

I’d like to see Greyhawk return as a large boxed set with maps done in the old Judges Guild format. No grand campaigns. One box that gives you the land, some framework and tons of little hints as to what would be found in a particular hex. That’s it. The rest is up to you.

Give a hex number where the old modules are located and have at it.

Honestly I think if you own the original boxed set you could run Greyhawk without any new material from Wizards at all. Greyhawk isn't different enough from the core 5e rules to require rules changes - it just requires that you think a bit less Drizzt Do'urden and a bit more Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser when you're thinking of adventure material. (I think this is what people mean when they say "similar to the realms" - Greyhawk and the Realms are very similar in the kinds of monsters, treasure and character classes you're going to encounter there. They can be very different in tone though.)

I think when it comes to Greyhawk I'd really like to see Wizards do two things - 1) Fix the maps in the scan of the original boxed set available at DM's Guild so that they can be printed properly and 2) open up Greyhawk for publishers on DM's Guild. Doing those two things would probably do more to spread interest in Greyhawk in the long term than any actual product that Wizards might put out.

This is what I want them to do with all of their settings, mind you, not just Greyhawk. A short PDF release along the lines of a Plane Shift document posted on their website that introduces the world and provides necessary rules conversions, with a pointer to the 2e/3e campaign setting and adventure materials available on DM's Guild and then opening up the license for those settings to allow people to publish on DM's Guild using those settings.

collin

Explorer
I would love to see a full Eberron campaign setting book for 5e. I've already been thinking about what I could do to turn Dragon Heist into an adventure set in the Eberron world.

Note: In the previous "photo tease", the word (CHRON)OMANCER in tiny script in the upper right hand corner. Plus the mention of "time machine." Chronomancer was a one-shot meta-setting for AD&D2e - a sort of "time-travel" version of Planescape, with it own classes: Temporal Raider, Temporal Champion, and Chronomancer.

And this tease is clearly Eberron.

Supposition: First, a meta-setting "D&D Multiverse" book or PDF is released, composed of Planescape+Spelljammer+Chronomancer. DM's Guild is opened for Planescape, SJ, and Chronomancer.

Next, all of the major D&D worlds (the ones mentioned in the PHB and DMG) are released as one-shot books or PDFs, starting with Eberron. They are opened to DMs Guild in turn.

Or maybe a single meta-setting book which includes a chapter on each of the major settings, but with Eberron as the first chapter.

I think though, that one book (or PDF) per setting is more likely, so that there can be a month or so of fanfare as each setting is sequentially released for 5E and DMs Guild.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honestly I think if you own the original boxed set you could run Greyhawk without any new material from Wizards at all. Greyhawk isn't different enough from the core 5e rules to require rules changes - it just requires that you think a bit less Drizzt Do'urden and a bit more Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser when you're thinking of adventure material. (I think this is what people mean when they say "similar to the realms" - Greyhawk and the Realms are very similar in the kinds of monsters, treasure and character classes you're going to encounter there. They can be very different in tone though.)

I think when it comes to Greyhawk I'd really like to see Wizards do two things - 1) Fix the maps in the scan of the original boxed set available at DM's Guild so that they can be printed properly and 2) open up Greyhawk for publishers on DM's Guild. Doing those two things would probably do more to spread interest in Greyhawk in the long term than any actual product that Wizards might put out.

This is what I want them to do with all of their settings, mind you, not just Greyhawk. A short PDF release along the lines of a Plane Shift document posted on their website that introduces the world and provides necessary rules conversions, with a pointer to the 2e/3e campaign setting and adventure materials available on DM's Guild and then opening up the license for those settings to allow people to publish on DM's Guild using those settings.

That would be a good approach, and it also doesn't stop them from releasing more material later if, for example, the final version of psychics is different from the one they put in the Eberron Plane Shift. They seem to want nothing to override the PHB (and maybe the MM), but everything else seems like it is fair game.

Remove ads

Remove ads