D&D 5E New character, decisions, decisions

dustfather

Explorer
So my dwarf rogue (thief) has died in the campaign and the party unfortunately doesn't have the resources right now to get him back. So, time to roll up a new character. I rolled decent ability scores (16, 15, 15, 14, 13, 11). The average party level is 9.
The party consists of two druids 9 (yes two...one moon, the other stars). The other PCs are a once and a while monk 9, and an every other session or so fighter (champion) 3/barbarian (berserker) 6.

So, I am contemplating what I will bring in. Any suggestions from the community? Playing the rogue was fun. I am considering a swords bard to bring some Charisma, but still bring some fight and versatility... But not sold on any one idea yet.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Bard might fit best, to bring people skills and versatility. Looks like you have plenty of fight, so you shouldn't feel you have to go Swords.
Another Rogue or an Artificer might bring similar general versatility, but I think you'll be fine with any character that you might want to play.

dustfather

Explorer
Bard might fit best, to bring people skills and versatility. Looks like you have plenty of fight, so you shouldn't feel you have to go Swords.
Another Rogue or an Artificer might bring similar general versatility, but I think you'll be fine with any character that you might want to play.
Thank you! We actually don't have much fight unless the person playing the monk is playing (which is rare), or the guy with the barbarian/fighter is able to show up. That was why I was leaning towards sword bard (plus last bard I played was Lore and I feel cheesy doing it again).
True another rogue could be good. Artificer is one I have also wanted to play.

dustfather

Explorer
Divine Soul Sorcerer would slot in perfectly.
Eloquence Bard as well.
I think we have enough healing coverage with two druids, so I don't really want to play a divine soul sorcerer, not saying it can't be fun.

Eloquence bard... I will take a look.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Thank you! We actually don't have much fight unless the person playing the monk is playing (which is rare), or the guy with the barbarian/fighter is able to show up. That was why I was leaning towards sword bard (plus last bard I played was Lore and I feel cheesy doing it again).
True another rogue could be good. Artificer is one I have also wanted to play.

From what I've seen, the swords bard is a bit self resource greedy. Too much of their support dice are used to augment their own attacks, so less support for the rest of the group (sword bard in the group I DM is 8th level).

Whith such good rolls, you have the perfect opportunity to go Paladin (a normally MAD class), great support AND a very heavy hitter. Paladins really shine by 9th level. Big auras in play and 3rd level spells online.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think we have enough healing coverage with two druids, so I don't really want to play a divine soul sorcerer, not saying it can't be fun.

Eloquence bard... I will take a look.
From a bit of recent experience, eloquence bards have some nice abilities. If your group has a lot of negotiating / social tier play - they rock at that.

But expect to play almost purely support during combat, fine if your into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Remove ads