D&D 5E New Character Decisions

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Game starting up, for which I am making a character. Setting is generic fantasy world, as opposed to specific FR or Greyhawk.

We have...

A goliath fighter/rune knight. A dragonborn druid of the Circle of Wildfire. An artificer of as-yet unspecific race or subclass, a monk of unspecified race or subclass, and me. Setting is generic fantasy world, as opposed to specific FR or Greyhawk.

I have myself down to a 2x2 decision space - half-orc or warforged, Wizard or Bard.

Not that any of you are me, but for sake of discussion - given that set of four characters, what would you go with, and why?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I'd go with the warforged wizard (scribe) Mostly because I have the idea of a wizard who caries around a bookshelf (or perhaps is the bookshelf) that has been kicking around for about 3 years now.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'd go with the Warforged Bard. I think it would be really cool to play a PC created as a repository of music and knowledge for <insert race here>. Perhaps a "magical glitch" has scrambled the original purpose a bit so that one of the PCs primary goals would be to seek out music and knowledge in general, not just for the race that built me.

From the party composition perspective a bard might be better, as none of the other characters seem like they would be particularly socially focused and the artificer is already a sciencey smart person somewhat similar to the wizard. Half-orc sounds like fun combination with a bard; brash, self-confident and charming. I have a hard time imagining a warforged bard but if you have a cool vision for such go for it.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, you have two battlers (fighter and monk), one full caster (druid), and one half-caster (artificer), so I would lean towards:

Half-orc for race (we don't allow Warforged as they are really OP)

Bard for class (for good spells, support, and expertise)

Judging from other responses, I think Bard is definitely the way to go. :)

Game starting up, for which I am making a character. Setting is generic fantasy world, as opposed to specific FR or Greyhawk.

We have...

A goliath fighter/rune knight. A dragonborn druid of the Circle of Wildfire. An artificer of as-yet unspecific race or subclass, a monk of unspecified race or subclass, and me. Setting is generic fantasy world, as opposed to specific FR or Greyhawk.

I have myself down to a 2x2 decision space - half-orc or warforged, Wizard or Bard.

Not that any of you are me, but for sake of discussion - given that set of four characters, what would you go with, and why?
Warforged without a doubt. It's one of my favorite ancestries and half-orc is one of the least, both in terms of mechanics and narratives. The 1e origins of half orcs have always made me dislike them, while I've always been drawn to the sentient construct.

For class, I would probably want to go Order of Scribe Wizard because that's what I'm most excited to play next, though I think that Bard is a much better fit for the party. I would go with either Tasha's subclass. Depending on the amount of social interaction, Eloquence is probably best because of how potent it is socially and how weak the rest of your party might be in that regard. I would make a C-3P0 style character, though more competent and less comedic relief.

Otherwise I would probably go Valor because I like that subclass as a secondary martial, and that seems like it would work well in a low social campaign.

Last edited:

BacchusNL

Explorer
Warforged College of Eloquence Bard would be super powerful, and it's bardic inspiration would have some nice synergy with the Monk's stunning strike and Druid's spells. Making sure Faerie Fire lands seems pretty damn nice in that party and it only scales from there.

Flavour-wise C3PO comes to mind (The gentile, well-spoken servant/ support, perhaps with a more capable combat protocol instaled :p) but you could just as easily spin it the other way as Bender, I think, or lean in on a more robotic/ calculated-logic style of personality, like Legion in Mass Effect or so.

Warforged Bladesinger Wizard could also be pretty powerful and dope, I reckon.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases