• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Characters - Advice on building?

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
DracoSuave said:
Yes, Ardent Champion really shines in Epic tier, obviously. But it's hardly -bad-.

All that does help with the Ardent Championage and I agree it does kick ass. I was merely speaking to the "3% less crit range" part since that part does require Epic levels whereas Daggermaster does not.

it's only worth taking daggermaster with a half elf that can take twin strike as an at will at paragon.

Exactly what I'm doing in our Scales of War Campaign with my Avenger. He's not exactly amazing at heroic, but he's survived. 2 more levels and the Daggavenging begins!

pascalnz

First Post
oh, iron sky you gotta tell us how it goes in paragon.
did you actually play heroic with daggers?? if you did you deserve that paragon and race combo:). you'd be crazy, but awesome!
just get every crit damage increasing thing you can get your hands on:). blood iron ftw:)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Plus, a careful look at the rogue list shows a minimum of 20 powers in the PHB1 alone that give combat advantage in a direct "have CA or a condition that gives CA" manner. This doesn't count the ones that allow you to use Stealth or Flanking to gain CA.

Anyone who says rogues have troubles with CA outside of flanking is selling you porky pies.
I count 15, including dubious ones like easy target.

If you take every power as a CA granter, then sure, you can keep CA up on your lonesome. You're giving up quite a lot to do so though. And if you ever miss, you're going to lose CA for the following round as well as not doing any damage this round.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
oh, iron sky you gotta tell us how it goes in paragon.
did you actually play heroic with daggers?? if you did you deserve that paragon and race combo:). you'd be crazy, but awesome!
just get every crit damage increasing thing you can get your hands on:). blood iron ftw:)

I did heroic with an Executioner's Axe, though once I hit 10, I'll probably be switching to daggers. Might be a rough level.

The main drawback at heroic is the 16 I put in Str and no bumps to Dex mean my Dex and Wis both aren't as high as a "pure" Avenger's would be. That +1 Dex mod means the Pursuit riders aren't very exciting (shift 2, teleport 2, vs the shift 4-5, teleport 4-5 of a "pure").

DracoSuave

First Post
I count 15, including dubious ones like easy target.

If you take every power as a CA granter, then sure, you can keep CA up on your lonesome. You're giving up quite a lot to do so though. And if you ever miss, you're going to lose CA for the following round as well as not doing any damage this round.

Those are the rounds where you should flank.

The rest of the time, you don't -have- to flank. Your wizard might thank you for considering his needs, and your leader for not taking unnecessary hits.

It's not hard to have a large amount of up-time for CC without relying solely on flanking.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Those are the rounds where you should flank.

The rest of the time, you don't -have- to flank. Your wizard might thank you for considering his needs, and your leader for not taking unnecessary hits.

It's not hard to have a large amount of up-time for CC without relying solely on flanking.

Oh, no denying that you don't have to flank every round. Just that for someone who's going to make a bee-line for the biggest target in a fight, rogue isn't the best choice.

Remove ads