• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Core Classes: Love them or Leave them?

How do you feel about using new core classes? Pick all that apply.

Crothian

First Post
of 5 players 3 are of the new classes: War Mage, Hexblade, and Scout. I played a Warlock one as well. I think they are very hit and miss having more flair then the core classes but not as much depth.

Conceptually, anyway, since I haven't had a chance to play them, I like the Scout, Swashbuckler, Hexblade, and the Warlock. Think Spellthief and Soulknife were better as PrCs. Have zero use for any of the oriental classes.

The Shaman

First Post
I bought the first two Complete... books, but I passed on the last two, so I don't plan on using the new core classes for my next campaign.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like core classes best (including new ones); then short PrCs with few prerequisites (3-5 levels tops); and don't care for 10 level PrCs or those with lots of prerequisites much at all. This is mostly from a DM's point of view.

DonTadow

First Post
At the most in my campaign, I've had three of the new core classes used. A spellthief, the scout and a healer. Only the spellthief remains but he likes the class alot and is not considering a prestige class for a bit. I liked the new base classes, although I could have done without the ones released in the Miniatures Handbook

Ashanderai

Explorer
Dagnabbit! I forgot to include options for preferring PrCs over core classes and for preferring other groups of core classes to replace those from the PH (like Arcana Evolved).

the Jester

Legend
The two biggest stumbling blocks for me with new core classes are:

1. Is it redundant? Can I easily approximate this with other classes? (That's why I don't like the swashbuckler base class.)

2. Does it fit the setting? Do I see this in my world? (That's why I don't like the ninja base class.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads