• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

No no no. Obviously, this is two elder dragons playing Pokemon, pitting their champions against each other in a proxy contest. The gold wyrm's adventurers versus the red dragon's elite kobolds. The winning team's backer will claim victory, while the loser will have to cede the point of contention.

I kid, but only partly. The piece is very much open to interpretation, and could be slotted as anything from "high level PCs assaulting a high CR dragon in its lair with their own dragon as backup" to "low level PCs fight some kobolds while the two ancient dragons bicker and lay bets, dropping many hints for the campaign to come". That's the beauty of art.
I'm of the opinion that Metallic Dragons have their own Kobolds too, but good-aligned Metallic Kobolds are generally pushovers compared to evil-aligned Chromatic Kobolds.

occam

Adventurer
No no no. Obviously, this is two elder dragons playing Pokemon, pitting their champions against each other in a proxy contest. The gold wyrm's adventurers versus the red dragon's elite kobolds. The winning team's backer will claim victory, while the loser will have to cede the point of contention.

I kid, but only partly. The piece is very much open to interpretation, and could be slotted as anything from "high level PCs assaulting a high CR dragon in its lair with their own dragon as backup" to "low level PCs fight some kobolds while the two ancient dragons bicker and lay bets, dropping many hints for the campaign to come". That's the beauty of art.
Or the PCs have temporarily summoned a gold dragon to help them soften up the red.

Or the gold dragon is an illusion meant to create doubt in the red's mind.

Or it's actually the 6th member of the party, a wildshaped druid of the new Circle of Dragons.

Remathilis

Legend
I like that it puts the adventurers front and center, unlike the 5e PHB with its random giant taking up most of the cover.

But that's pretty much the only thing I like about it, the colors and composition are way too busy. And the artistic quality really isn't quite what I'd expect from the cover of the world's best selling RPG. It's not poorly drawn by any means, but I think WotC should have given the artist more time given how important this piece is.
That's King Snurre, antagonist from the Against the Giants series, and about equal on the recognizability scale as the LJN action figure characters. Which is to say, a "who?" to all but the most ardent fans...

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The piece is very much open to interpretation, and could be slotted as anything from "high level PCs assaulting a high CR dragon in its lair with their own dragon as backup" to "low level PCs fight some kobolds while the two ancient dragons bicker and lay bets, dropping many hints for the campaign to come". That's the beauty of art.
It would be funny to have a cover like this for a book where the Kobolds are the player characters.

Remove ads

Remove ads