• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

All ten Dragon types have gotten a big refresh.
I Think that remains to be seen. The silver dragon image in the new PHB looks pretty much like the 3e+ design. And really the new red dragon is pretty similar to the 3e+ design too. Differences could be simply artistic style.

So I wouldn’t call those big refreshes. Now, those two are also the ones I would change the least.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just an FYI, Tyler (the illustrator for the new PHB) is traditionally trained and used traditional painting when he started working professionally (including for WotC). He later switch to all digital. However, if you look through his gallery you can't really tell which is which.

My point being, please stop conflating digital art with AI art. They are not the same and it just reflects poorly on you.

Both have that ultra clean, processed uncanny Valley vibe imho.

I think this is digital from almost 20 years ago. Doesn't look so processed.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I Think that remains to be seen. The silver dragon image in the new PHB looks pretty much like the 3e+ design. And really the new red dragon is pretty similar to the 3e+ design too. Differences could be simply artistic style.

So I wouldn’t call those big refreshes. Now, those two are also the ones I would change the least.
I'd really like them to try out some new dragon designs. We've have the 3e Lockwood dragons for 25 years now and even if I was a fan of the tropical fish finned metallics, it'd be nice to see some new takes. I do like most of the chromatics (aside from blue's giant horn) and I'd love to see new takes on them too.

dave2008

Legend
Both have that ultra clean, processed uncanny Valley vibe imho.
Are you talking about the standard cover or the alt cover? I was talking about the standard cover it does not have that ulta clean vibe IMO. I mean you can see the brush stokes. Tyler paints digitally like he does traditionally. I mean familiar with the process because I do it too!

PS - he started as an oils painter, you can see that in how he blends his strokes. I always preferred acrylics myself, but most painters I know prefer oils (if not for the more troublesome cleanup)

1715946275371.png

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads