D&D 5E New D&D Hardcover To Be Announced On The 23rd (Tomorrow)?

According to this page on Amazon.com, a new Dungeon & Dragons hardcover title for May will be announced tomorrow. Users in the US see the product below (those in the UK are seeing a Wizkids miniatures set instead). So far signs look like Ravenloft, but we’ll know for sure tomorrow. [Update -- also mentioned by Todd Kendrick, recently of D&D Beyond]. WotC has posted the below animation...

According to this page on Amazon.com, a new Dungeon & Dragons hardcover title for May will be announced tomorrow. Users in the US see the product below (those in the UK are seeing a Wizkids miniatures set instead).

So far signs look like Ravenloft, but we’ll know for sure tomorrow.

[Update -- also mentioned by Todd Kendrick, recently of D&D Beyond].

WotC has posted the below animation, which says “The Mist Beckons”.

Eu15emPXcAQLSQQ.jpeg

I was always a huge fan of Ravenloft, I didn't buy Curse of Strahd as I was hoping to one day play it (which never happened) so I'm pretty excited for this.

dave2008

Legend
As I mentioned previously I am not really interested in Ravenloft, but at least with DnD Beyond I can get the monsters (which I always like) without getting everything else.

TheSword

Legend
Curse of Strahd sold 6,000 copies not including Amazon in the week it was released according the Publisher Weekly records. It was the 6th best seller of all books that week.

I don’t really understand the Ravenloft hate. Gothic Horror is the gift that keeps on giving. It has a massive backlog of tropes, references, movies, literature, and music. In short it’s exactly what D&D likes best... a massive body of collective conscious it can mine for familiar roleplaying game experiences.

Zardnaar

Legend
Curse of Strahd sold 6,000 copies not including Amazon in the week it was released according the Publisher Weekly records. It was the 6th best seller of all books that week.

I don’t really understand the Ravenloft hate. Gothic Horror is the gift that keeps on giving. It has a massive backlog of tropes, references, movies, literature, and music. In short it’s exactly what D&D likes best... a massive body of collective conscious it can mine for familiar roleplaying game experiences.

Gothic horror isn't fantasy as such so it's D&D bending genres.

It's like fish I suppose. You either like eating it or you don't.

dave2008

Legend
I'm the opposite - I don't understand the Ravenloft love ;) But it doesn't bother me that others like it. It is just not really for me. Besides the monsters, I am mildly interested in the other Domains of Dread as I've never picked up any material on those in previous editions.

I'm the opposite - I don't understand the Ravenloft love ;) But it doesn't bother me that others like it. It is just not really for me. Besides the monsters, I am mildly interested in the other Domains of Dread as I've never picked up any material on those in previous editions.
I just have trouble taking it seriously. I've watched too many cheesy Hammer movies. That stuff just aint scary.

But sure, I get that some people love it, I don't begrudge them having it.

I might get it, but treat it more as action-comedy-horror rather than try and run it straight, which I don't think I could make work.

TheSword

Legend
I just have trouble taking it seriously. I've watched too many cheesy Hammer movies. That stuff just aint scary.

But sure, I get that some people love it, I don't begrudge them having it.

I might get it, but treat it more as action-comedy-horror rather than try and run it straight, which I don't think I could make work.
I think if you were in the story you might feel different.

Fear watching a TV program is different to fear for a character trapped in a cell with a person turning into a werewolf as your team mates look on helpless in other cells.

Comedy and horror are a great combination.

TheSword

Legend
Gothic horror isn't fantasy as such so it's D&D bending genres.

It's like fish I suppose. You either like eating it or you don't.
Well a decent chunk of the creatures in the Monster Manual are inspired by it. So D&D has a long and fruitful history of mining the genre.

I can’t recommend the old 2e Van Richten books enough to people who want to make more of monsters.

Van Richtens guide to the lich was one of my first RPG buys and it has informed my approach to those creatures ever since.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well a decent chunk of the creatures in the Monster Manual are inspired by it. So D&D has a long and fruitful history of mining the genre.

I can’t recommend the old 2e Van Richten books enough to people who want to make more of monsters.

Van Richtens guide to the lich was one of my first RPG buys and it has informed my approach to those creatures ever since.

Wasn't that much if a fan of those books in the 90s. Vampire one was interesting.

I liked Dragonlance briefly circa 1993-1997 until Dragons of Summer Flame.

Ravenloft didn't really like much probably not helped by crap DM. It's also really hard to make gothic horror work. At that age I had already seen movies like Aliens, horror movies were a joke and I had read books on the holocaust at school and middle school had then on the Atomic bombings of Japan with colour photos.

Also if you played Darksun Ravenloft was a joke or a cartoon vs scary. I've never figured out how to do it or seen it done well. It's not for me and just don't get it.

ccs

41st lv DM

I don't like Ravenloft as a whole conglomerate setting of horror. I've felt this way since the day the setting was launched back in 2e.
I've always felt that if they had to use Ravenloft as the masthead, then the adventures would've been best presented as an anthology. One shots, nothing connected. Instead? We got the whole demi-plane of dread crap, ongoing story, the idea that you could crisscross this weird continent of horror like traipsing around the FR, and a bunch of rules that literally scared people away from playing anything (including I6/I10 or the I6 remakes) with the RL logo as they didn't want their characters corrupted/driven insane/etc.

I'm 100% fine with the original module (I6) & I'm OK with re-visiting it every edition. You need to keep the best/most iconic stuff in circulation for the next generation of gamers.
And I like it's actual sequel - I10 House on Gyphon Hill - even though it's a slight mess & could use the additional polish I6 get's every few years....
I don't think that there's any good reason to make either one of these into a whole lv1-10(?) campaign though.

CoS? Well... It combines my distaste for RL as an overall setting by cramming ALL of the tropes into one tiny haunted valley AND my dislike for turning it into a complete campaign.

That's why I don't like CoS/or "Ravenloft" the campaign setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads