D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

gyor

Legend
I suspect Vecna will be a powerful lich, not a deity, in the movie.

It's a movie, it will ignore "canon" (which doesn't exist anyway).

And the Eye of Vecna was in the 1st edition DMG, and it didn't have any kind of "Greyhawk Only" flag on it.

Possibly, or Vecna would just expand his reach into Faerun, other Gods, admittedly demihuman and monster deities have already been ported from Greyhawk into Faerun. Much of the tradition Elven, Dwarven, Halfling, Draconic, Gnomish, Orc, Hobgoblin, Giant and assorted monster deities actually started in Greyhawk, although 5e appears to have united the these none human Pantheons in MTOFs, which honestly made sense, having a Greyhawk Seldarine with different membership then the FR Selderine was confusing for some, and the Sundering makes that easy to explain why and how the new deities came to FR (which would include Vecna).

gyor

Legend
Can someone please explain how Drows being villains could be politically incorrect? It's a fantasy race with no tie to the real world! Who will be offended and why?

Black skin. I think it's silly too, but this is the world we live in. I hope they ignore those voices, and just do Drow that look like Drow.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Or just make them violet (or maybe blue like the Antifairies from Fairly Oddparents)

A much more blue hue, added with an aristocratic noble accent, would do a lot to carve a path to keep drow villainous without running afoul of modern sensibilities.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I agree that this all seems a bit ... much. I'd still withhold judgement until the movie is actually released but there are so many more grounded stories that could be told.
Eh, it’s only a lot if they actually try to explain it all.

Nothing wrong with mentioning and touching on elements of a world and leaving them at that.

Leave people googling, as long as they don’t have to google to understand the actual plot.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I said this before in a thread about a D&D movie...a 10 episode TV show would be better to showcase what D&D is. Like any good campaign, start small. Save the village from raiders or something. Build up to heroes that do something larger by ep 10.

Movies want to be epic. There is too much temptation to jump into gods and god like beings before the audience can possibly gain any appreciation for who anyone is or why they are important.
The last thing I was is a movie that cares about mimicking a dnd campaign.

It shouldn’t worry about that, any more than a good comic book movie tries to look like a comic book.

Just tell a story in a dnd world.

gyor

Legend
Eh, it’s only a lot if they actually try to explain it all.

Nothing wrong with mentioning and touching on elements of a world and leaving them at that.

Leave people googling, as long as they don’t have to google to understand the actual plot.

For noobs, all they need to know for the sake of the movie is that Tyr is God of Justice, Torm is God of Duty, and Ilmater is God of Mercy and suffering, and that they dwell in the Plane of Mount Celestia.

That Vecna is an evil lich who became a God on another world and whose eye is a powerful evil magic item that replaces the users eye.

What a Dragonborn is. Don't dumb down to the point where you change the concept.

What the leader of the order of knights is, a shape shifting good dragon.

And who and what the characters are. That should be too hard to weave that in the plot.

The magic flaming sword is pretty self explanatory.

Anyways does anyone else think the mask warrior knight Lady might be a Scourge Aasimar?

I mean she is either horribly scarred, which I doubt is the case, or an outlaw which does not fit with a knight order like this, or what fits an order like this like a glove, a Scourge Aasimar many of whom like to wear masks.

Remove ads