WotC New D&D survey from WotC

ccs

41st lv DM
I also got asked that question separately about D&D in general, and about 5e specifically. I wonder if they’re trying to gauge if the timing is right for an edition change.

Of course the timing is right, we're 3 years out from the 50th anniversary of our favorite game. They'd better get cracking.

JEB

Legend
Of course the timing is right, we're 3 years out from the 50th anniversary of our favorite game. They'd better get cracking.
The new options in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and the changes in how races and alignment have been handled in 2021 products and UAs thus far, suggest they've probably been thinking about it since at least last year. (And there were similar precursors to 4E ideas in products towards the end of 3E...)

JEB

Legend
I also got asked that question separately about D&D in general, and about 5e specifically. I wonder if they’re trying to gauge if the timing is right for an edition change.
They also might be trying to gauge how much change said edition change should involve - satisfaction with the current direction would indicate something more like 5E with high compatibility, dissatisfaction could suggest more radical changes (depending on the specific nature of the dissatisfaction). Though like you, I'd be surprised if they made something you couldn't use 5E material with at all...

ccs

41st lv DM
The new options in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and the changes in how races and alignment have been handled in 2021 products and UAs thus far, suggest they've probably been thinking about it since at least last year. (And there were similar precursors to 4E ideas in products towards the end of 3E...)
Oh yes, I know. I've specifically called out this 5e end-of-edition-misc-material in the past.
And i've been predicting 2024 as 6e's arrival date for several years now in posts like these.

Remove ads