D&D 5E New D&D WotC survey asks if you read ENWORLD!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If they are collecting data just to tell whatever story they want to tell, fine. In that case, it isn't much different from stocking a focus group with opinions you want to hear.
I mean... That’s probably exactly what they’re doing.

Greg K

Legend
For this population, they could have arranged for some VTT maps or tokens or something; though they'd have to have had their own VTT first... whoops. Entering folks into a drawing for a free copy of special-art Tasha's would be another good incentive.

VTT would be worthless to myself and my friends.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Interesting, for the question "Which of the following games have you ever played? Which do you play currently?" ...

... they listed "Pathfinder: Kingmaker" as a specific option.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For this population, they could have arranged for some VTT maps or tokens or something; though they'd have to have had their own VTT first... whoops. Entering folks into a drawing for a free copy of special-art Tasha's would be another good incentive.
Except then they'd have had to collect a lot more personal info from each respondent who wanted to enter....
While I am at it, they shouldn't place alternate forms of items on the very next page as the first form - come on.
As in, ask more or less the same question twice? That's standard survey crap these days - confirm your first answer with a second one (and sometimes even a third or fourth one) later in the survey. Very annoying.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
But not all of them; hence the problem.

Similarly, some portion of people who would have bought books but did not because of dissatisfaction with recent books are also not taking it.

If they are collecting data just to tell whatever story they want to tell, fine. In that case, it isn't much different from stocking a focus group with opinions you want to hear. If on the other hand they want to know what all segments of their target market think, they will need to do better.
you've gone from saying that a survey that long without compensation will have selection bias on who chooses to answer it, to accusing them of trying to stack the deck to tell a specific story. The first part made sense. The second part shows bias and makes me question anything you put up as it seems you are willing to state conspiracy theories as fact without evidence.

NotAYakk

Legend
Sure; but not everyone in your position will. Nonresponse bias is a pretty big deal and considering ways to minimize it is basically textbook survey design - and long surveys are a big no-no. Pilot the items first (with compensation), then roll out a shorter, well designed survey - ideally, also with some form of incentive.

It isn't like WotC is broke.
You are assuming they want information from the survey.

If they want engagement (tm) and justification, a survey like this is perfect.

You can cherry-pick the conclusion you want, and you can claim it came from the end-users.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Interesting, for the question "Which of the following games have you ever played? Which do you play currently?" ...

... they listed "Pathfinder: Kingmaker" as a specific option.
That was under the computer games section. What did you find interesting about the title of the recent PF computer game?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases