• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Design: Wizards...

Zebediah Magus

First Post
Last week I received my copy of Saga and I really liked the dynamic between the force, talent trees and feats. Sounds like they may be aiming for something very close to that with 4e magic.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Upper_Krust said:
Also if Orb, Staff, Tome and Wand are the Wizard items, what could be the Clerical equivalents?

Holy Symbol we already know about. Perhaps Favoured Weapon is another? Could Chalice be one (or would that simply be a type of Holy Symbol?)? Or what of Rods?

What if the Clerical 'Four' were:

Swords Favoured Weapon...boosts attacking magic
Pentacle Holy Symbol...boosts defensive magic
Rods...boosts miscellaneous magic
Chalice...boosts healing magic
So here's a question: will *all* classes have "implements" somewhat equivalent to the fighter's sword and shield? What would you imagine a Druid's implements to be?

Mercule

Adventurer
Sir Brennen said:
So here's a question: will *all* classes have "implements" somewhat equivalent to the fighter's sword and shield? What would you imagine a Druid's implements to be?

+5 human sacrifice.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Aage said:
The article seems to have been changed :eek: the Tome is gone...

You're right. :(

I REALLY hope this doesn't mean they're going to retain the the old 'spellbook'.

I was *really* digging the Tome idea---that's the one that had the most potential flavor of all four foci!

Sir Brennen said:
Holly, an oaken staff and things like that. Of course I don't know when the druid is coming out.

Grog

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Maybe they'll go back to 1E, where Druids needed mistletoe to cast all their spells.

Aage

First Post
FickleGM said:
4. I also hope that the cleric has something at least related, so that he may use religious implements in spellcasting.

Holy symbol as cleric opposite of orb?
Favoured Weapon as staff?
Something wandlike? Not sure here ^^

Irda Ranger

First Post
Piratecat said:
3e's changes were far more extreme than I expect 4e's to be, and I'm pretty happy with how 3e turned out. For me, it's definitely D&D. I expect 4e will be the exact same way.
Hmm. To me there's a difference between 'changing the rules' and 'changing the flavor.' The latter seems more likely to result in "not D&D." 3e introduced changes to both, no argument, but this change does really feel different to me. It's subjective. Maybe I'll get used to it; we'll see.

But I know right now I don't like Tome as being particular to some spells. Ancient knowledge and magical lore should apply to all forms of magic, not just subsets (and what happens in you lose half the pages?). Considering the subsets of spells currently associated with Tomes (shapechange, summon, conjure, physical effects), I think I will change Tome to "Familiar." Magical tomes (lower-case 't') will be necessary for between-adventure leveling-up training and "new spells" magical research.

Korgoth

First Post
Aage said:
The article seems to have been changed :eek: the Tome is gone...

We now have:

Orb: enchantment, beguiling, and ensnaring, defenses when invoking spells of thunder or force.

Wand: accurate, damaging attacks, powers of cold and deadly acidic magic, lightning and force

Staff: fierce powers of fire and radiance, shape and sculpt the spells they cast.

"Wizards are rarely without at least one of these tools"

That's a shame. This was the first 4e announcement in a while that I was actually interested in, and mainly because of the Tome.

Oh well. I guess I can go back to not liking it now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads