• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New DM+players, how to handle death in Keep

How to handle PC death?

• Somehow rez him in town, no cost

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Somehow rez him in town, steep gold cost.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Player brings another char, same XP as dead one.

Votes: 45 38.5%
  • Player brings another char, level 1 (no xp)

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Player out of the module.

Votes: 1 0.9%

unan oranis

First Post
In a "real" campaign, especially at this low a level, I think you'd be robbing the players and yourself by easy-fixing a death regardless of its cause.

If for the rest of the campaign death seems a real possibility the dramatic tension will more than pay for itself.

However, if running this module as a one-off for fun or as a tester, I'd have the character rise as an undead (exactly the same as he was, just undead) due to the nearby goings on of necromancy action. Cool, fun and maybe even a bit of a dramatic twist to the character.

phil500

First Post
thanks for the advice. keep in mind that these are new players, so they dont know this isnt a "campaign" and dont realize how much they are being robbed by having pregens.

i think i will go with new characters, maybe even 0 xp due to the fact that level 1 isnt too far from level 3 skill wise. that will really bring home "i can lose all i have earned."

Isn't there an NPC in town that specifically has the Raise Dead Ritual for just this occasion?

Also, in 3 4E games (one being overly hard) I haven't seen anyone die yet, so it seems a bit unlikely. The closes was a Paladin being dropped in melee while still on fire. Oops.

Blackeagle

First Post
Fiendish Dire Weasel said:
The closes was a Paladin being dropped in melee while still on fire. Oops.

Time to bring out the Holy Roller Barbecue Sauce! With 666 delicious herbs and spices to bring out the best of that divine flavor. Whether you're a minion or a solo, you deserve the best. The next time you roast someone with a divine power source, don't settle for anything less!

Blackeagle

First Post
Fiendish Dire Weasel said:
Isn't there an NPC in town that specifically has the Raise Dead Ritual for just this occasion?

Sister Linora, the temple priest, knows gentle repose, raise dead, and cure disease.

I have to say that I really like the fact that she's a non-heroic. An NPC that can raise dead no longer has to be a powerful cleric who could probably take care of whatever problem is facing first level adventures without breaking a sweat.

Mort_Q

First Post
Blackeagle said:
I have to say that I really like the fact that she's a non-heroic. An NPC that can raise dead no longer has to be a powerful cleric who could probably take care of whatever problem is facing first level adventures without breaking a sweat.

Agreed. Plot trumps everything!

thewok

First Post
I think the key here is "new DM and players."

Players need to learn that actions have consequences. In a regular game, the character would be dead, and they'd probably have to roll up a new character. That said, it's a bit hard to roll up a new 4E character until June 6.

However, it's a new system, with new players and a new DM. I'd be somewhat lenient for a few levels. Let them take their party member back to town for the raise dead ritual, and make it cost a decent amount. I'm sure the NPC could be convinced to reduce the fee considering what the PCs are trying to do for the town. But it should still sting a lot to pay.

After a while, though, all bets should be off. Let the people get used to the system and to your DM style. After a warming-up period, hit them with everything.

So, that's my choice: Let them rez, and make it cost something.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads