New Dragon+ (Feb 2019): Saltmarsh & Greyhawk edition

Best of the DM's Guild includes a free adventure to download.

Best of the DM's Guild includes a free adventure to download.

dave2008

Legend
That was a long section on Greyhawk. I keep trying to decide if all this Greyhawk publicity lately (Mearls interview, Dragon+) is a sign that

1) They have something in the works and are building up to it
2) Mearls is trying to drum up support so he can do something
3) This is the sort of support they are willing to provide

AD

Hmmm, after reading a bit more, it really looks like #3 to me. That whole section on Greyhawk for 5e seems like it is all we are going to get to me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

lkj

Hero
Hmmm, after reading a bit more, it really looks like #3 to me. That whole section on Greyhawk for 5e seems like it is all we are going to get to me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm not so sure. I know what you mean in that they are listing a lot of existing resources you can use. But the article is exactly the kind of thing you would write to get people thinking about the setting in anticipation of something coming up. But since WotC don't announce releases early, they can't just leave people who are reading the article hanging. They have to point to existing resources. Combined with the fact that Mearls has been talking about finding a way to release Greyhawk in 5e for quite awhile, it's enough to keep my hopes alive.

Of course, that's all speculation. Maybe it is #3. Or maybe it will be eventually because Mearls won't be able to find a good business case to do more.

But I can dream!

AD

Nebulous

Legend
Financially I don't know if it is feasible enough for them to put out a hardback Greyhawk sourcebook, although I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy, it might not overall make ENOUGH people happy.

lkj

Hero
Financially I don't know if it is feasible enough for them to put out a hardback Greyhawk sourcebook, although I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy, it might not overall make ENOUGH people happy.

I think there's a good chance you're right. The only context where it makes sense is if it's done as part of one of their adventures, ala Storm Kings Thunder (which had an awful lot of setting info in it).

Maybe more likely is something more akin to the Eberron pdf. Just a matter of whether it's worth the cost of development time then. And if it does well, then, maybe, you consider a hardback.

AD

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
To be honest all I would want is a gazetteer directed at both players and dm, with an updated map, which there are options around. Class options, gods and magic items specific to the setting. That's it! Also, I think they can make a lot of money by reprinting the 1983 boxed set "World of Greyhawk" as a premium reprint edition.

dave2008

Legend

I think they should probably keep all hardbacks Forgotten Realms oriented - continues to keep a clear message for new comers. However, I think they should open up all old settings on DMsGuild with new content (similar to Eberron) and old released via PDF and POD. I think that would be a win/win. The hardcovers are sold at all manner of stores and keep a clear message for beginers, and those in the know can go to DMsGuild to get there specific setting content. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I think they should probably keep all hardbacks Forgotten Realms oriented - continues to keep a clear message for new comers. However, I think they should open up all old settings on DMsGuild with new content (similar to Eberron) and old released via PDF and POD. I think that would be a win/win. The hardcovers are sold at all manner of stores and keep a clear message for beginers, and those in the know can go to DMsGuild to get there specific setting content. Seems pretty obvious to me.

This ship has already long since sailed on keeping all the hardcovers Forgotten Realms oriented though. Only SCAG and the mega-adventures follow that rule. All the other books are explicitly setting-inclusive.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That was a long section on Greyhawk. I keep trying to decide if all this Greyhawk publicity lately (Mearls interview, Dragon+) is a sign that

1) They have something in the works and are building up to it
2) Mearls is trying to drum up support so he can do something
3) This is the sort of support they are willing to provide

AD

Based on his Dragon Talk interview, option 2 seems credible. Though they are publishing a book this Spring set primarily in Greyhawk.

Remove ads

Remove ads