New Dragon+ (issue 12): The Inspiration Issue

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fair enough, so it seems odd that it seems that they're preventing that this time around (then again, I'm sure replacing the page count with something like that is a more standard policy than I would think).
Guessing the contents of this book isn't quite as fun as Volo's; this one prettyu h is as advertised, I wager; most curious bit may be "where do they suggest to put the adventures in the four main Prime worlds?" But that's only passingly curious...

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Parmandur

Book-Friend
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/TYP_Intro0227.pdf

Here is the pdf of the intro from the actual book.

Edit: speaking of page count, has it been mentioned elsewhere that Amazon is listing it at 248 pages?
Yup, product page does, too.

Interesting that there is a sidebar suggesting the use of the Green Dragon Inn in Greyhawk to serve the same purpose as the Yawning Portal...they are providing a bit of flavor, but this is a setting neutral book.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

I definitely agree on that. It's pretty obvious they are going out of their way to ensure that those who might cry foul over classic modules being moved to a different setting have no basis to do so (granted, there will still be those stubborn folks who will assume that they will all be set in the Realms and flat-out refuse to open the book to find their fears are unfounded, but there is little you can do with those types).

Beyond that, I love how the Hidden Shrine art is basically just an (excellent) update of the original module cover, other than it's a different character getting strangled.

wedgeski

Adventurer
My players have already booked me as DM for a Tomb of Horrors one-shot. They know the dungeon quite well, so they're going to build a straight-up "Tomb of Horrors"-killer party based on what they can remember. We'll see how that goes!

CapnZapp

Legend

Looking at the Tomb of Horrors excerpt, it seems they're putting a lot of respect into how the original adventure was written, and warns that it's not suitable for more "kick the door and fight" players.
Here's the direct link to the Tomb of Horrors preview, for those not wanting to muck about with Dragon+ :)

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/dragon/DnD_TYP_211-212.pdf

Birmy

Adventurer
Having two different articles about the cat person on the cover (three, actually, if you're counting the editor's letter) is a little strange.

Remove ads

Remove ads