New Dragon+ (issue 12): The Inspiration Issue

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

For an issue named "The Inspiration Issue" there's not too much about the Inspiration mechanism, is there...?

Considering the issue is not supposed to have anything to do with the game mechanic, I think it is fine. The first sentence from the Product Overview page:

Join Dragon+ for an inspiration special, as we explore some of the real-life stories of how Dungeons & Dragons continues to encourage and motivate gamers from all walks of life.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have to admit, Dragon+ has gotten waaay better than the first few issues I read. Actual suggestion articles? Spotlighting good DmGuild content? Free adventures? holy Crap, it almost resembles Dragon again! :)

I wish there could have been just a tiny bit more meat on the Tomb of Horrors preview, but at least it's a hint that it's a thinking person's module - unless they wimp out and give the collapsing ceiling low damage. I want dead careless adventurers ten minutes in, dammit!

Remathilis

Legend
I have to admit, Dragon+ has gotten waaay better than the first few issues I read. Actual suggestion articles? Spotlighting good DmGuild content? Free adventures? holy Crap, it almost resembles Dragon again! :)

Adventure's aside, the big difference I see between the two is that Dragon wrote FOR D&D, while D+ writes ABOUT D&D. That is, Dragon provided things for the game, both in terms of new crunch (Bazaar of the Bizarre, Arcane Lore) and fluff (Wyrms of the North, Ecology of the X, Deities & Demigods). There is a huge gap that isn't being well served due to 5e's limited print schedule, and an article detailing Baldur's Gate, or giving the history of Orcus, a variant monster or converted beast, or reprinting 5 spells from Frostburn might be a far better gap filler and resemble Dragon of old. However, D+ doesn't seem as interested in adding to the game as much as discussing it abstractly; discussing elements of the player base, designers, or how its influenced others. It doesn't grow the game as much as navel gaze about it. Its my chief complaint about D+, it still feels like filler. Its better filler than it was, but it doesn't yet give me much reason to open an issue a second time.

Hussar

Legend
I dunno, a free 23 page high quality adventure with at least two new monsters in it seems like something "for D&D".

I mean, you've got the following in a free product:

1. Use this book tonight - New backgrounds and hooks
2. Complete Rules for the new Assault of the Giants boardgame.
3. Planeshift - Kaladash - complete new setting for D&D including new classes and mechanics.
4. 5 high quality maps
5. A second 13 page module

I'd say that that's not a bad haul for free. Two complete modules, several new maps, and a bunch of new races. Sounds a lot like Dragon to me.

Remove ads

Remove ads