• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New errata posted, stealth changes official

Syrsuro

First Post
Would be a lot more useful if there were any level 1 potions. As it is, there are no potions lower than level 5, and thus no point to brew potion before level 5.

I would assume this is a foreshadowing of some kind. It doesn't change the level at which you can make healing potions because they wanted you to have to be 5th to make them. But they have probably added some lower level potions and had to change Brew Potion accordingly.

It also allows you to choose Brew Potion at 1st level, which you couldn't have done previously.

Carl

The_Fan

First Post
Increasingly, the errata can be summarized as:

Player's Handbook [Revision]
Player's Handbook, page 1
Remove Player's Handbook. Replace with errata.

Reaper Steve

Explorer

Harsh.

22 pages of errata for 3 volumes totalling over 800 pages isn't much.
The errata could probably fit on a quarter of those pages if boiled down without all the fancy formatting.

Here's a few more errata I'd like to see:
Zombie minion errated to either live up to being lvl 3 or downgraded to lvl 1.
Needlefang drake swarm needs a nerf batting.
Deathump spider, too.
A rebuild of the skill challenge from the ground up, after the design team reads Stalker0's obsidian system and alternative core system.
Definitive clarification on divine challenge (to make it obvious that one must attack on the turn the challenge is issued.)

eamon

Explorer

There are a lot of errata. They do improve gameplay, and it's not surprising that many of them weren't discovered before release. Probably, just like in 3e, subsequent prints of the rule books will have these errata integrated, which helps.

It's annoying, but there's not much to be done. I'm still happy they actually fixed stealth! Quite a few other powers were fixed too, Shadow Wasp Strike is the least of the issues.

Warrior's Urging and Come and Get it were fixed to use pull mechanics instead of shift mechanics, which is simply necessary.

Stalwart Guard and Devastation's Wake were nerfed. Stalwart Guard actually makes a little bit of sense now.

Hand of the Gods was fixed (it was a minor action, and it's now a standard action). That's a pretty big change, but it's a multi-marking paladin ability that also happens to boost allies, so that was definitely necessary.

Anyways, just look at how often multiplayer PC games are patched - often for balance changes. Balance isn't easy.

frankthedm

First Post
I like the change to stealth. Much preferable that the character has to actually get out of the foe's LOS and give it a chance to lose track of the character rather than just spamming the stealth hotkey at every opportunity.

Kesh

First Post
Does anyone know if the official PDFs have been updated for this errata? I figure it'll take a while, but I'm curious to see how long.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So Stealth now reads:

Success: You can't be targeted. Enemies don't know what space you occupy, but may guess it correctly. If they do, they can attack that space; at a -5 penalty on ranged or melee attacks. Cover and Superior Cover stack with that penalty (to -7 and -10, respectively).

Right? (Obviously not complete, but by way of opening a discussion.)

This is where I love seeing a design worded in the positive, telling us what a rule does do, instead of in the negative telling us the framing information.

-vk

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads