New Fighting Fantasy books by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson

Larnievc

Hero
That's a fair observation, but I've always found them to have a wonderful story and atmosphere. Also, the single path can be somewhat frustrating, but it does add to the longevity of the book. Finally, my perception is probably skewed by the fact that, by sheer dumb luck, I managed to complete Deathtrap Dungeon on my first game! House of Hell, was a different story... :D
With a similar amount of luck I killed all the Seven Serpents (granted one died off screen) on my first go.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm irritated that there's no sign of them on the US Amazon store. Stop slacking, Scholastic!

I'm also irritated at my 2007 self for not realizing there was a hardcover expanded anniversary edition of Warlock of Firetop Mountain, which is quite understandably hard to find/expensive now.

Yaztromo

Explorer
I bought them and I just went through Secrets of Salamonis, by Steve Jackson (with Jon Green): it is quite different from the "classic" Steve Jackson gamebooks (unsurprisingly, as this is the first gamebook he published in over 30 years...)
It has the perfect backstory and structure for introducing a kid to gamebooks and roleplaying, introducing anovice adventurer to the Adventurers' Guild of Salamonis and proposing a number of one-off adventures that can be generally played in any order (apart from a couple that are more difficult than the rest), while you can learn, develop your character, buy weapons and objects, managing appropriately your inventory and your characteristics - and the adventures are not incredibly difficult (which was uncommon for Steve Jackson). It is written very well (which is another news for Steve Jackson). Doesn't have a massive use of codewords and similar tricks (incredible!)
In summary, if you wanted to get "another" Steve Jackson's gamebook, in line with previous ones, maybe this is not what you really wanted, but if you want a good gamebook, that can introduce new, young players to the game, then you you have found it!

Last edited:

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
I'm regretting now selling my collection 20 years ago. I try to ease my regrets by thinking that the new owner is enjoying them as much as I did when they first came out in the 80s.

Every once in a while during 1st and 2nd Ed I would create my own "Death Trap Dungeon" for the group. 1 shot, any character goes, see how far you make it. Lots of fun!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I got rid of some of my original green spine books I didn't enjoy (Starship Traveller was really poorly designed, sorry not sorry) and regret it, but yeah, I hope the new owners got a lot of pleasure out of them.

I find Arion Games' Advanced Fighting Fantasy books (available in PDF form as well as hard copy) are good inspiration for D&D content, even if I don't want to run AFF (I don't, really). They haven't gotten to Deathtrap Dungeon yet, but I bet it's coming soon, given that they have Sorcery, Firetop Mountain and the Citadel of Chaos done.

GreyLord

Legend
I have a much of the original series up to book 59 - Curse of the Mummy, but of the new ones, I only have
Gates of Death
Assassins of Allansia
The Port of Peril
Howl of the Werewolf
Night of the Necromancer
Eye of the Dragon

It sounds as if I should try to get the Secrets of Salomis from the sounds of the thread.

I have heard that Bloodbones was released, but I've not found a copy myself.

Also, I have the 4 books in the Sorcery series plus an extra book called the spellbook (which was also included in the back of the 4th book of the Sorcery series as well I believe).

If we go beyond that, I have the Fighting Fantasy RPG and the Riddling one (the second in that series).

I didn't get as much into Advanced Fighting Fantasy, only having picked up the Advanced Fighting Fantasy book (my copy is actually called Dungeoneer), Blacksand, and Out of the Pit. Later on I picked up a copy of Titan.

The final items I have (but I admit, I haven't actually ever read them) are just novels which are the Zagor Chronicles and one which I think is a FF called Demonstealer.

Last edited:

Remove ads