New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer

Everyone was surprised by its success. Guiness called it a stupid and childish fairy tale (which it ultimately is - farmboy saves princess from the clutches of an evil warlord with the help of a wizard and a pirate).

The stupidest thing ever uttered by a movie executive was "Sure Mr. Lucas... You can keep the merchandising rights and soundtrack royalties." Which is why I side-eye any hate laid at the Ewoks and porgs as a ploy to sell merch; they were no more a ploy to sell merch than were the Jawas.

Other fits of financial brilliance were from Sir Alec Guiness (or more likely his agent), who opted instead of a negotiated salary to take .025% of ESB's revenues. His estate continues to collect money from it and his take from that movie alone is more than $100 million.

For less than 60 seconds of screen time.

You know, now that you mention it, I think that's why the later Star Wars movies fell so flat. They forgot that it was supposed to be a fairy tale

Ryujin

Legend
You know, now that you mention it, I think that's why the later Star Wars movies fell so flat. They forgot that it was supposed to be a fairy tale
Hand-waving psuedo-science "counts" rather than just allowing it to be what it was, Science Fantasy, was a fairly large misstep.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Thats exactly what I said to my brother when Phantom Menace came out - the original movies were fantasy in space, Phantom Menace was too sci-fi

Remove ads