New GSL Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greylock

First Post
Matthew_ said:
Sure Peter, I know it won't affect Troll Lord Games, I was thinking more of third party support for Castles & Crusades,....

This is of major concern to myself as well. Goodman has done a good job of supporting C&C, but this all makes it look like that will end.

gideon_thorne

First Post
Greylock said:
This is of major concern to myself as well. Goodman has done a good job of supporting C&C, but this all makes it look like that will end.

I guess it depends on whether a company prefers their eggs in one basket, or more than one, when it comes right down too it. ;)

Goobermunch

Explorer
phloog said:
Agreed completely...while I don't like posting rumor as fact, posting rumor as a highly likely possibility in a wide distribution to a fairly reactionary group (basically everyone I've ever met on the web) might be an acceptable tactic to get the right thing done...assuming WOTC doesn't get their backs up.

If it truly is open (oops, there's that word!) to alteration, since it hasn't been fully released, hearing this kind of outcry might turn the conversation with Orcus into a 'trial balloon' - - it may not have been this when they had the initial conversation, but if it looks like it might explode in bad PR, perhaps they WILL reconsider...versus everyone being reasonable, calm, and collected, then when WOTC announces that the worst we imagined is indeed the truth, it becomes much harder to back away for them.

Either that or it irreparably ruins Orcus' relationship with WotC and causes them to close 4e.

--G

Orcus

First Post
Morrus said:
Oh, there's a possibility it might. But at present it could be either; we're hoping for clarifcation today. But baldly stating that WotC has said things that they have not is disingenuous. Let's wait till (if) they say it before we all start posting it across the intrawebs as truth.

One would hope that mxyzplk will go back and correct that article.

I agree it should be corrected. I was the source of the comment, and I am 100% certain that is what I was told. There is no doubt about it. But we have not gotten an official statement about it. And, as with many things regarding the GSL, it appears to be in flux. As I have said, I hope that my question was either misunderstood or their answer was misunderstood by me.

In any event, this is hardly the thing that should get slashdotted as an actual fact. It is still pending resolution in my mind. I call on mxyzplk to make an appropriate retraction or notation.

Clark

Orcus

First Post
Goobermunch said:
Either that or it irreparably ruins Orcus' relationship with WotC and causes them to close 4e.

--G

I'm pretty sure my relationship with Wizards is fine. :) And I dont think anything I am doing will cause the closure of 4E. In fact, I have said I prefer this GSL to none at all and I'm pretty sure I am one of the few that is actually defending the poison pill, whether or not I actually like it.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Goobermunch said:
Either that or it irreparably ruins Orcus' relationship with WotC.

The "dick move" I referenced earlier was exactly this. It throws Clark under the bus to score points against WotC.

TheRaven

First Post
Well, my guess is, that there is still something explosive waiting. We are talking about 3PP here but what about fanwork? What about selfmade stuff offered for free on fansites? It wouldn't be out of their way to integrate some kind of hosting service into the DI and prohibit the people from hosting 4E stuff anywhere else. Maybe even restrict uploading to people paying the fee or granting them additional advantages and comfort features.

What about the SRD? My guess is, that websites like mine (www.systemreferencedocuments.org) won't be possible with the fourth edition. Yes, the whole GSL thing might be better than fully closed but it is much worse for all the fans out there compared to the OGL/D20. WotC only does what they think will benefit them in the end (basically a good thing). We will have to wait and see if this move benefits the community as well. I'm skeptical about that though.

Last edited:

Arrond Hess

First Post
TheRaven said:
Well, my guess is, that there is still something explosive waiting. We are talking about 3PP here but what about fanwork? What about selfmade stuff offered for free on fansites? It wouldn't be out of their way to integrate some kind of hosting service into the DI and prohibit the people from hosting 4E stuff anywhere else. Maybe even restrict uploading to people paying the fee or granting them additional advantages and comfort features.
Such as on Gleemax? Yeah, at this point, I can see WotC pulling something like that as they may view "fan sites" as competition to their own DDI/Gleemax projects.

xechnao

First Post
TheRaven said:
Well, my guess is, that there is still something explosive waiting. We are talking about 3PP here but what about fanwork? What about selfmade stuff offered for free on fansites?

Almost impossible. Everybody knows now that this method is a disaster.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Boy, I sure doubt that. This isn't TSR we're talking about. The WotC folks I know are smart, knowledgeable about the industry, and aware of past blunders. I wouldn't expect to see any overly restrictive fan site decrees.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads