New Harry Potter trailer

WizarDru

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
As I recall, there was some possibility that Tom Felton would have to abandon the role after this film due to other filming obligations, though that may have changed.

Haven't seen the trailer yet, I'll have to wait till I get home...
Trailer looks good, and I was quite happy with the second film. There's a definite change in the cinematography and look to the film, and, to paraphrase Rowling, "we expect great things of it". The dementor presentation was nice, Oldman looks great for Sirius Black, and I'll be very interested to see how things play out. Many consider this to be the best book of the series (although I think that's a hard call to make, myself).

Have they actually gotten some commitment from the actors to play these roles past the first three films? I was under the impression that they hadn't, although the possibility hadn't been ruled out...it just hadn't progressed that far, yet.

kengar

First Post
iirc, with at least the three kids playing the main characters (Harry, Ron & Hermione), they were only contracted for the first 3 movies. After that, assuming they make the rest (which seems likely), they are probably going to switch to a different cast.

WizarDru

Adventurer
I'm not so sure I'd make that assumption. Rowling has a say, of course, and the possibility exists they might not make another film. It's kind of a thorny problem, given the turnaround time of movie development. To make the film on the scale they want, it takes years to make a film...and the biological clock is ticking for live actors. I mean, they already look too old for the parts, don't they? But I'm willing to let a lot slide, because they're talented.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I rather enjoyed the first two Potter movies. Kenneth Branaugh's Lockheart was great. The next one should be great, if Sirius Black and Lupin are handled correctly. But the story doesn't really kick into gear until Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix IMO.

WHEN IS THE NEXT BOOK COMING OUT!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Sorry for all the excess posting today, this server is so damn slow that my connection usually timesout three or four times per post, and like a moron I hit refresh.

Last edited:

Datt

First Post
Calm down Felxor. Sheesh. ;)

Oh and I think at least Danny boy will be doing the movies for a while. Look at the this from imdb.com:

Daniel Radcliffe
Salary
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) $3,000,000
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) $110,000

Last edited:

stevelabny

Explorer
For POA,Tom is 14 playing 13, Rupert is 14 playing 13, Daniel is 13 playing 13, and Emma is 12 playing 13. (she just turned 13)

The boys just had their first growth spurt and voice change a little earlier than normal. But since it already happened in CoS and we dealt with, there shouldnt be any more problems. And Draco is such a ridiculously UNIMPORTANT character that it doesnt matter how bad his haircut is,i mean, how old he looks.

If they start filming GoF any time in the next year, you will have 15-17 year olds playing 14 year olds, a very common occurence.

By OotP the age differences will still not be THAT severe (assuming they keep pumping out movies)

The "problem" would be the last two unwritten books. But by then the characters woulkd be fully developed 16-17 year olds, and 20-something actors can play them without any problem.

I can deal with re-castings, BUT I think this is a spot where it is not only unnecessary, it would help bring the downfall of the franchise. The mainstream audience that will be unnaturally cruel to any movies with a new cast. The cries of outrage over a new cast will be louder than any of the complaints over 3e or 3.5e I guarantee you. Re-casting is a BAD move.

Remove ads