D&D 5E New L&L is up

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
It's weird that there's so many spells on the cleric list that aren't on the wizard list and should be (hold person, astral projection, antimagic field, etc.)

thalmin

Retired game store owner
There are several spells on either list that are not on the other. So If you get both the starter and the PDF, you have more spells to choose from. Also, the lack of some spells on the Wizard list could be to put more spells into the game without overwhelming new players with too many options for a given character.

I'm not concerned with the PH right now - but they showed us Starter Set Preview 3, and the cleric list there contained the one and not the other.

One of these two lists is out of date.
Basic is a subset of the Player's Handbook rules, so maybe the Starter Set is using only a subset of Basic.

There are several spells on either list that are not on the other. So If you get both the starter and the PDF, you have more spells to choose from. Also, the lack of some spells on the Wizard list could be to put more spells into the game without overwhelming new players with too many options for a given character.

I suppose that could be true, but I find it extremely odd to say the least. I would think that, since they expect Starter Set players to download the PDF, they'd want them to match to avoid confusion.

I'd like to hear what Mearls has to say on the subject.

Basic is a subset of the Player's Handbook rules, so maybe the Starter Set is using only a subset of Basic.

Rather, it would have to be that the Starter is using a different subset of the PH rules.

Drakhar

First Post
So looking at the cantrips, in the starter clerics get: Guidance, Light, Resistance, Sacred Flame and Thaumaturgy. Basic they get: Guidance, Light, Resistance, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying and Thaumaturgy. Seems normal to me that Basic will have more spells then the starter set.

Wizards: Starter: Dancing Lights, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost. Shocking Grasp
Basic: Fire Bolt, Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation and Ray of Frost.
Here we see more discrepancies, with Shocking Grasp missing, Minor Illusion/Dancing Lights being name changed.

Cleric is also missing Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Sanctuary and Shield of Faith from the starter set at level 1. Aid, Prayer of Healing and Warding Bond from level 2. Bacon of Hope, Mass Healing Word, Revivify and Spirit Guardians from level 3.

Wizard meanwhile is missing Comprehend Languages at level 1, Blur, Darkness, Hold Person, Misty Step, Spider Climb, Suggestion and Web at level 2 and Protection from Energy at level 3. Now a few of those are on the Clerics list (Hold Person and Protection from Energy) but this does lead me to believe that the L&L list is out of date or missing spells.

The Hitcher

Explorer
Because Mike didn't list the backgrounds, I'll do it for him:

Noble
Folk Hero
Acolyte
Soldier
Criminal(?)

Last one I'm unsure of, but it's something along those lines.

Remove ads