New Magic Item: Ring of Vicious Strikes

Satyrn

First Post
It's a neat item, and I like it except for one thing:

You don't say how often it can be used each day. You also worded it in a way that suggests the wielder doesn't get a choice to cast it. It reads to me like it says thatif there is no active Hex it casts it again no matter what. I would never want to use it that way.

If I could choose to cast Hex or not, I would use it.

But I think I'd like it even more (both as a player and DM) if I could choose to cast it on a hit, and it automatically cast Hex on both a natural 20 and a natural 1.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
It's a neat item, and I like it except for one thing:

You don't say how often it can be used each day. You also worded it in a way that suggests the wielder doesn't get a choice to cast it. It reads to me like it says thatif there is no active Hex it casts it again no matter what. I would never want to use it that way.

Unlimited times per day, but you don't get a choice about casting it. The only way to stop it from casting is by physically removing the ring. (I considered making the ring cursed and unable to be removed without a Remove Curse spell, but decided that would give away the game too early. The idea is that appears to be a beneficial item with a minor drawback until you learn that you've been instrumental in returning a great evil to the world. Perhaps it'll become un-removable once the great evil is resurrected/released.)

If I could choose to cast Hex or not, I would use it.

It's supposed to have a drawback that forces a choice, but the choice is in whether or not to use the ring, not in casting the hex.

I want it to be attractive enough to use despite it damaging you, but not quite an automatic "YES!". I don't expect it to appeal to everybody.

But I think I'd like it even more (both as a player and DM) if I could choose to cast it on a hit, and it automatically cast Hex on both a natural 20 and a natural 1.

I also prefer items that are completely under my control. This just isn't one of them.

Satyrn

First Post
I just can't see anyone who knows how it works ever using the ring.

I mean, if I'm wearing it and fighting 4 foes, that's 4d6 damage if I get a hit in on each of them. And it's worse than that if I attack 1 (hex him), attack 2 the next round (the spell gets cast again) and then attack 1 again (another hex!). And on and on. All day.

I don't see this being a tempting choice. It's horrendous suicide.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I just can't see anyone who knows how it works ever using the ring.

I mean, if I'm wearing it and fighting 4 foes, that's 4d6 damage if I get a hit in on each of them. And it's worse than that if I attack 1 (hex him), attack 2 the next round (the spell gets cast again) and then attack 1 again (another hex!). And on and on. All day.

I don't see this being a tempting choice. It's horrendous suicide.

Or, you face 4 foes and only take a single d6 damage because you know how the ring works and fight intelligently. If you drop your first foe before starting on the second the Hex is transferred without doing any additional damage to you.

If you behave suicidally and keep switching targets without reducing them to zero HP first, then yes, you are going to do a lot of unnecessary damage to yourself.

The real variable is whether or not you can maintain concentration. If you get really unlucky and keep failing the Concentration saves, then it can be a really bad time.

[edit: It may not have been clear enough in the original post that the Hex can be transferred instead of recast. I edited it to hopefully make it more clear.]

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Okay.

Can you do me one favor, though please: In a few months could you post here again to tell us how this worked at your table? While I would be happier to see I'm wrong here, I might gain a little satisfaction if I get to say I told you so. :p

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Okay.

Can you do me one favor, though please: In a few months could you post here again to tell us how this worked at your table? While I would be happier to see I'm wrong here, I might gain a little satisfaction if I get to say I told you so. :p

Sure thing. It's not 100% certain I'll be running the next campaign, but if I do I'll make sure to toss this into the mix. I'm always interested in finding out how things work in practice instead of theory.

(I've also discussed the base item with the player I think is most likely to end up with it and he likes the sound of it. He's unaware of the "Hidden Attribute". :devil: )

Last edited:

No opinions? Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Not interesting enough?

Kind of interesting. I like the backstory part best.

I would wear this ring, especially as a non-magical fighter with no better use for my concentration. Free damage is free damage, and it helps with control too.

I can imagine shenanigans where you slap or strike someone in a non-combat setting in order to Hex their Wisdom, and then try to cover it up by pretending you were insulted/joking/etc. Could be entertaining.

Last edited:

Remove ads