D&D 5E New Monster - Old Scoopy

Seriously inspired by the Athabasca Tar Sands Thread.

Don't think it's quite there yet, but open to any and all suggestions.

I was inspired by this pic.
sf3ovln3cic81.jpg

Old Scoopy

The size of what you are seeing dwarfs even skyscrapers. This is a massive Circular saw-like blade on a crane on massive treads.

Knowledge. Chemistry Tools, Computer Tools, Electronic Tools (Common DC 28, Unusual DC 30, Secret DC 32),

Born for Oil Processing. Old Scoopy is a machine of the far past, long before the Hodgepocalypse. In this ancient time, Old Scoopy was created to be a fully automated and AI assisted Fossil Fuel Extraction automation.

Lord of the Scoop. The strange dug out area that roughly corresponds to the ancient Athabasca Tar Sands is where this machine dwells. It is literally responsible for its slow, but constant increase of the hole. It is a fair Lord, willing to make deals with people in return for services, but it is a no go to interfere with its perpetual digging.

Secret Glitch (Secret Knowledge). While Old Scoopy is adamant about digging up the tar sands, it can be completely convinced to push towards a high yield area. This requires a DC 24 Chemical Tools check to do so. If successful, it will leave without causing a disturbance.

Old Scoopy

Gargantuan Construct, Lawful Neutral
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 354 (24d20 + 102)
Speed 80 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
30 (+10) 10 (+0) 23 (+6) 18 (+4) 15 (+2) 19 (+4)
Saving Throws: Str +16, Con +12,

Skills: Investigation +10, Nature +10

Condition Immunities: blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Damage Immunities: Necrotic, poison, psychic
Damage Resistances: Cold, Fire
Senses: Darkvision 120 ft, Tremorsense 300 ft. (ground penetrating ladar), passive Perception 12
Languages: L33t; communicates via radio signal
Challenge: 20 (25,000 XP) Prof. +10

Damage Threshold. Old Scoopy is very tough. It has immunity to all damage unless it takes an amount of 10 points or more, in which it takes damage as normal.

Immutable Form. Old Scoopy is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Magical Resistance. Old Scoopy has advantage on saving throw vs spells and other magical effects.

Nanite Repair System. If Old Scoopy is reduced to 0 hit points, it covers itself in a coating of oil and nanites and sinks into the ground. It will return to the surface at full hit points within 72 hours.

Actions
Mulitattack. Old Scoopy makes a Bucket Chain Blade and a Crude Blast attack if it is available.

Bucket Chain Blade. Old Scoopy picks an area within 80 feet of it and dig its bucket chain in a 40-foot line that is 15 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw, taking 88 (16d10) slashing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Crude Blast (Recharge 5-6). Old Scoopy exhales a virulent crude Oil in a 120-foot line that is 10 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw, taking 45(10d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Bonus Actions
Trembling Strike (Recharge 5-6). Old Scoopy strikes the ground with its bucket chain blade, triggering an earth tremor. All other creatures on the ground within 60 feet of Old Scoopy must succeed on a DC 25 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Reactions
Tank the Hit (Recharge 5-6). On a successful hit, Old Scoopy takes no damage.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Seriously inspired by the Athabasca Tar Sands Thread.

Don't think it's quite there yet, but open to any and all suggestions.

I was inspired by this pic.
View attachment 150199
Old Scoopy

The size of what you are seeing dwarfs even skyscrapers. This is a massive Circular saw-like blade on a crane on massive treads.

Knowledge. Chemistry Tools, Computer Tools, Electronic Tools (Common DC 28, Unusual DC 30, Secret DC 32),

Born for Oil Processing. Old Scoopy is a machine of the far past, long before the Hodgepocalypse. In this ancient time, Old Scoopy was created to be a fully automated and AI assisted Fossil Fuel Extraction automation.

Lord of the Scoop. The strange dug out area that roughly corresponds to the ancient Athabasca Tar Sands is where this machine dwells. It is literally responsible for its slow, but constant increase of the hole. It is a fair Lord, willing to make deals with people in return for services, but it is a no go to interfere with its perpetual digging.

Secret Glitch (Secret Knowledge). While Old Scoopy is adamant about digging up the tar sands, it can be completely convinced to push towards a high yield area. This requires a DC 24 Chemical Tools check to do so. If successful, it will leave without causing a disturbance.

Old Scoopy
Gargantuan Construct, Lawful Neutral
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 280 (17d20 + 102)
Speed 80 ft.

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
30 (+10) 10 (+0) 23 (+6) 18 (+4) 15 (+2) 19 (+4)

Saving Throws: Str +16, Con +12,
Skills: Investigation +10, Nature +10
Damage Immunities: necrotic, poison, psychic
Damage Resistances: blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified,
poisoned
Senses: Darkvision 120 ft, Tremorsense 300 ft. (ground penetrating radar), passive Perception 12
Languages: L33t; communicates via radio signal
Challenge: 20 (25,000 XP) Prof. +6

Immutable Form. Old Scoopy is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.

Magical Resistance. Old Scoopy has advantage on saving throw vs spells and other magical effects.

Nanite Repair System. If Old Scoopy is reduced to 0 hit points, it covers itself in a coating of oil and nanites and sinks into the ground. It will return to the surface at full hit points within 72 hours.

Actions

Bucket Chain Blade.
Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 30 ft., up to five targets within 5 ft. of each other. Hit: 20 (2d8 + 10) slashing damage.

Crude Blast (Recharge 5-6). Old Scoopy exhales a virulent crude Oil in a 90-foot line that is 10 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw, taking 67 (15d8) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Legendary Actions
This Old Scoopy can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Old Scoopy regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Bucket Chain Blade. Old Scoopy makes one attack with the Bucket Chain Blade.

Trembling Strike (Costs 2 Actions). Old Scoopy strikes the ground with its bucket chain blade, triggering an earth tremor. All other creatures on the ground within 60 feet of Old Scoopy must succeed on a DC 25 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Tank the Hit (Costs 3 Actions). On a successful hit, Old Scoopy takes no damage.

Lair Actions
Old Scoopy is one with the Scoop, the territory that used to be known as the Athabasca Tar Sands. On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), Old Scoopy takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; Old Scoopy can't use the same effect two rounds in a row:

- The dirt at least 50 square area around Old Scoopy has been “dug loose” and will be considered difficult terrain until initiative count 20 on the next round.

- “DilBit,” a highly corrosive, acidic, and potentially unstable blend of thick raw bitumen and volatile natural gas liquid condensate erupts from a point on the ground Old Scoopy can see within 120 feet of it, creating a 20-foot-high, 5-foot-radius geyser. Each creature in the geyser's area must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) Necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

- Sour gases form a cloud in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point Old Scoopy can see within 120 feet of it. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is lightly obscured. It lasts until initiative count 20 on the next round. Each creature that starts its turn in the cloud must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the end of its turn. While poisoned in this way, a creature is incapacitated.
Very cool idea and thank you for sharing. A few thoughts:
  • I think you mean "Condition Immunities" when you said "Damage Resistances."
  • I might give it some Damage Resistances to though. Maybe: cold & fire?
  • I might consider giving it a damage threshold like ships
  • I would think about increasing its AC
  • Not sure how you calculated it, but the CR seems off.
  • I would ditch the legendary actions and just put most, if not all, of the damage potential in "Bucket Chain Blade"

Very cool idea and thank you for sharing. A few thoughts:
  • I think you mean "Condition Immunities" when you said "Damage Resistances."
  • I might give it some Damage Resistances to though. Maybe: cold & fire?
  • I might consider giving it a damage threshold like ships
  • I would think about increasing its AC
  • Not sure how you calculated it, but the CR seems off.
  • I would ditch the legendary actions and just put most, if not all, of the damage potential in "Bucket Chain Blade"
fixing condition immunities and damage resistance.
Thinking of adding damage threshold for sure. - Going with 20 as it is a cr 20.
increasing AC for 17.
bumping up bucket chain blade to targets being 10 foot to each other to give it serious range.
Now I'm intrigued. build is off. let's pull out the chart.

man, your not kidding - bumping hit dice up to 24d20+102 hit dice up to 354 hp. open to suggestions on how to update for two hit points.

Attack bonus needs to be +10 pro - updating.

How's that?

dave2008

Legend
fixing condition immunities and damage resistance.
sounds good
Thinking of adding damage threshold for sure. - Going with 20 as it is a cr 20.
This seems a bit high. I would suggest 10, 15 max.
increasing AC for 17.
Sounds good
bumping up bucket chain blade to targets being 10 foot to each other to give it serious range.
that is a good idea. I assume these targets make a save or suffer the same damage as the initial target. That is the standard language, but there are other ways you can do it.

However, I would still up the damage. At least 32 (4d10 + 10), but probably more.
open to suggestions on how to update for two hit points.
I'm not sure what this means.
Attack bonus needs to be +10 pro - updating.
Nor this
How's that?
Looking better.

Another option, rather than a melee weapon attack for the bucket chain blade, make it an area or line attack. Maybe:

Bucket Chain Blade. Old scoopy picks an area within 80 feet of it an digs its bucket chain in a 40-foot line that is 15 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 23 Dexterity saving throw, taking 88 (16d10) slashing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

oh using the dmg monster gauge for hp and att bonus and realized my numbers in the original are low, changing them.

dropping damage threshold to 10 for testing purposes

and will swap out the attack with your aoe attack.

ty kindly :)

not sure if I should repost, but if you want the updated version, let me know.

dave2008

Legend
oh using the dmg monster gauge for hp and att bonus and realized my numbers in the original are low, changing them.

dropping damage threshold to 10 for testing purposes

and will swap out the attack with your aoe attack.

ty kindly :)

not sure if I should repost, but if you want the updated version, let me know.
Just update the OP if you feel like it. Love to see how it comes out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases