New News Page Layout

This is just an experiment - I'm not sold on it. The idea is that bigger news items dropped out of sight pretty quickly with the old format, while this one allows more to be seen at a glance. On the downside, it also makes it look a lot like every other news site on the web. The difference isn't as big as it appears at first - it's just that individual items are collapsed rather than expanded by default, in an attempt to make more room. Other than that, it's the same.

This is just an experiment - I'm not sold on it. The idea is that bigger news items dropped out of sight pretty quickly with the old format, while this one allows more to be seen at a glance. On the downside, it also makes it look a lot like every other news site on the web. The difference isn't as big as it appears at first - it's just that individual items are collapsed rather than expanded by default, in an attempt to make more room. Other than that, it's the same.
Anyhow, with the caveat that nobody likes change, let me know how you get on with it. It may stay, or it may go back to the old way. Switching it back is only a single click away!

Greybird

Explorer
I like it. It is clean and efficient. It is missing one vital thing, though: The articles really need to have dates on them. I can't keep track of which DMG previews I've seen and which I haven't.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I like it overall, but I think the slideshow takes up too much space.

My suggestions, if you are set to keep the slideshow (all IMO):
  • Have the left-hand text be a little larger (and more legible).
  • Use a solid background for the text; semi-transparency sometimes makes the text hard to read.
  • Don't have the text drop down.
  • Compose the pictures to better fit in the space to the right so the text does not cover up anything important.
  • Offer a way to close or minimize the slideshow.

Between the slideshow and the gap for the banner ad (any way to collapse that for subscribers?), I only see the headlines and the first few lines for the top two articles.

View attachment 65326

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I meant to say it used to be on the side along with the polls, reviews, etc.

Fan content? No, it's never been along the side. It's always just been in the news posts. Or were you referring to something else?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads