D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Stuff like Study or Influence, in the Rules Glossary.
Oh those, far as I know the influence action isn't really new, it's been in the DMG since 5e came out. Had to look up the study action, but it looks much like how we've always run things with knowledge checks. I feel like that's always been in 5e but this has maybe spelled it out better.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh those, far as I know the influence action isn't really new, it's been in the DMG since 5e came out. Had to look up the study action, but it looks much like how we've always run things with knowledge checks. I feel like that's always been in 5e but this has maybe spelled it out better.
The best kind of change.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Their methodology of only moving forwards with 80% approval rating material that has good qualities commentary in the surveys means that any changes basically boil down to optional homebrew type content that most people prefer means that adaption isn't only simple, but people can do it piecemeal over time due to the modular nature of the rules.
Yes, while I think details have changed here and there, their plan since 2014 was always to make an edition that could be tweaked as tastes changed and problems arose, without having to overhaul the whole kaboodle. It's a good plan. Even if I'd like to see some bigger changes, it's a very playable game even with little foibles.

I’d venture so far as to suggest that they went more out there in the beginning to see if any really wild ideas stuck, knowing that they’d have to tack back toward compatibility eventually regardless. Like I think they always knew that things would get closer to 2014 as the playtest went on.
I think you're right. I really wish they'd do more of that, but I think after some of the... harsher blowback, they're more likely to be more conservative going forward.

Either way, though, I hope they give second chances to some stuff they’ve moved away from, like less extreme exhaustion, before the end.
Yes! I think this happened too much with D&DNext and I'm worried that it will happen here. Some ideas just need tweaking to make better, not dropping entirely. For example, I think that prebuilt statblocks for druid wildshapes is a great idea over search-the-monster-manual, BUT... they botched the whole thing. I really hope they try again with the statblocks built toward what the animal-form's main role would be (Brute, Skirmisher, Scout, etc).

And I really hope that more than 20% of people dislike the current proposed TWF rules/options and half-caster warlocks as much as I do…
I think you're going to be fine there. I was okay with the Warlock on my first read-through, but after rebuilding a character using the rules and reading all the Warlock player's complaints, I'm onboard with low-balling it. Much like the Druid, I think something ought to be done about the Warlock, but NOT THIS.

Actually, with both the Druid and the Warlock, I've seen suggestions made by people on this site that would be MUCH BETTER.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, while I think details have changed here and there, their plan since 2014 was always to make an edition that could be tweaked as tastes changed and problems arose, without having to overhaul the whole kaboodle. It's a good plan. Even if I'd like to see some bigger changes, it's a very playable game even with little foibles.

I think you're right. I really wish they'd do more of that, but I think after some of the... harsher blowback, they're more likely to be more conservative going forward.
Same, and I think you’re right.
Yes! I think this happened too much with D&DNext and I'm worried that it will happen here. Some ideas just need tweaking to make better, not dropping entirely. For example, I think that prebuilt statblocks for druid wildshapes is a great idea over search-the-monster-manual, BUT... they botched the whole thing. I really hope they try again with the statblocks built toward what the animal-form's main role would be (Brute, Skirmisher, Scout, etc).
Yep. Ditch land/sea/air, I'd go with something like protector/scout/skirmisher/[something to indicate weird stuff like spiders and snakes].
From there, just put choices into the statblock of different movement types and speeds, and like a couple special traits and actions. Like 3 choices for each thing.
It's odd that they went with such bland statblocks, considering the Tasha's summon spells have actual choices within the statblocks and are much more interesting. Like...guys. You know how to do this better.
I think you're going to be fine there. I was okay with the Warlock on my first read-through, but after rebuilding a character using the rules and reading all the Warlock player's complaints, I'm onboard with low-balling it. Much like the Druid, I think something ought to be done about the Warlock, but NOT THIS.

Actually, with both the Druid and the Warlock, I've seen suggestions made by people on this site that would be MUCH BETTER.
Yeah the Warlock drives me batty. Like, just make the patron spells 1/day free cast, automatically known, and make the recharge a 10 minute ritual that can be done during a short rest without interrupting the rest. Then, take all the "you can cast this spell using a warlock spell slot once per long rest" invocations and ditch the "using a warlock spell slot" part.

Done. Fixed. Ready to go.

I mean I'd rather they just make short rests 10 minutes (I can't find anything in the rules anywhere that this would change or mess up) than the 10 minute ritual thing, and then make every class have short rest stuff, but it is what it is. Hell I'd rather the short rest be the main recharging rest, but that ain't in the cards.

Remove ads

Remove ads