D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I mean I'd rather they just make short rests 10 minutes (I can't find anything in the rules anywhere that this would change or mess up) than the 10 minute ritual thing, and then make every class have short rest stuff, but it is what it is. Hell I'd rather the short rest be the main recharging rest, but that ain't in the cards.
Amen, there. I really thing the rather arbitrary choice of 1 hour was a terrible decision. 10 minutes would have been soooo much better. Not "kick in the next door"-fast of an encounter power, but a nice short "exploration turn" (in an old-school sense) breather rest.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Amen, there. I really thing the rather arbitrary choice of 1 hour was a terrible decision. 10 minutes would have been soooo much better. Not "kick in the next door"-fast of an encounter power, but a nice short "exploration turn" (in an old-school sense) breather rest.
Yep. I mean honestly I'd be happy with a barely defined "you take enough time to catch your breath, take a drink of water, and get refocused on the task ahead", or barring that, a silly "it takes twice as long each subsequent time you take a short rest, starting at 5 minutes" rule.

But oh well.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Yep. I mean honestly I'd be happy with a barely defined "you take enough time to catch your breath, take a drink of water, and get refocused on the task ahead", or barring that, a silly "it takes twice as long each subsequent time you take a short rest, starting at 5 minutes" rule.

But oh well.
SHORT REST. Requires 30 minutes. Can be rushed to 15 minutes, but each character must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 1 point of exhaustion on a failure.

That way, it would be quicker than the current 1 hour (for normal out-of-danger situations), but the party can push the limits of exertion if it is in dire need of rest while being harried by exigent circumstances.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
SHORT REST. Requires 30 minutes. Can be rushed to 15 minutes, but each character must make a Constitution saving throw, taking 1 point of exhaustion on a failure.

That way, it would be quicker than the current 1 hour (for normal out-of-danger situations), but the party can push the limits of exertion if it is in dire need of rest while being harried by exigent circumstances.
Idk if I like the 15-minute rush. Seems counter-intuitive that a character could get more exhausted by taking a short breather than if they had just kept going.

Reef

Hero
Idk if I like the 15-minute rush. Seems counter-intuitive that a character could get more exhausted by taking a short breather than if they had just kept going.
Yeah, I'd agree. I also find it gard to believe anyone wanting to risk a level of exhaustion. If the situation is dire enough to want to risk a short rest, it's probably dire enough not to want to risk the exhaustion.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Rushing a long rest I can just about see. Rushing a short rest seems like it’d just give a lesser result.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Alright, how about rushing a short rest to 15 minutes restores your spent abilities that you regain on a short rest, but doesn’t allow spending hit dice to restore hit points?

I’m just spitballing here trying to find a compromise. In a standard day of travel or galavanting around town, short rests are trivial. In a lengthy dungeon crawl, they’re difficult to do when monsters are breathing down your neck.

Reef

Hero
Alright, how about rushing a short rest to 15 minutes restores your spent abilities that you regain on a short rest, but doesn’t allow spending hit dice to restore hit points?

I’m just spitballing here trying to find a compromise. In a standard day of travel or galavanting around town, short rests are trivial. In a lengthy dungeon crawl, they’re difficult to do when monsters are breathing down your neck.
The way I see it, unless you make the time it takes trivial, people still run into the same issues. My preferred solution would be to make them no more than five minutes, but limit how many time you can benefit from them during a Long Rest (either two or three, in order to keep the number in alignment with the current ‘official’ expectations).

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
The way I see it, unless you make the time it takes trivial, people still run into the same issues. My preferred solution would be to make them no more than five minutes, but limit how many time you can benefit from them during a Long Rest (either two or three, in order to keep the number in alignment with the current ‘official’ expectations).
The way I run my campaign, I usually give my group 2 short rests, unless they’re on a dungeon crawl or something. So for a travel day it would be: long rest overnight and eat breakfast when they wake up, then travel until they stop for a short rest to eat lunch, then travel until they stop for a short rest to eat dinner, then travel until they stop to make camp for the night and take their next long rest.

Each day I roll a d20: on a 17, they have a random encounter between breakfast and lunch, 18 they have one between lunch and dinner, 19 they have one between dinner and camp, and 20 they have one during the night (I would then roll to see which watch it occurs during). Unless I want to force an encounter for plot purposes.

In the middle of a dungeon, all bets are off. But I will sometimes give the group an opportunity to hole up somewhere safe if they desperately need a rest (I.e. go into a room and bar the door, or sneak off to a secluded branch of a cave where wandering monsters are less likely to roam).

Reef

Hero
The way I run my campaign, I usually give my group 2 short rests, unless they’re on a dungeon crawl or something. So for a travel day it would be: long rest overnight and eat breakfast when they wake up, then travel until they stop for a short rest to eat lunch, then travel until they stop for a short rest to eat dinner, then travel until they stop to make camp for the night and take their next long rest.

Each day I roll a d20: on a 17, they have a random encounter between breakfast and lunch, 18 they have one between lunch and dinner, 19 they have one between dinner and camp, and 20 they have one during the night (I would then roll to see which watch it occurs during). Unless I want to force an encounter for plot purposes.

In the middle of a dungeon, all bets are off. But I will sometimes give the group an opportunity to hole up somewhere safe if they desperately need a rest (I.e. go into a room and bar the door, or sneak off to a secluded branch of a cave where wandering monsters are less likely to roam).
Which is great, but not every campaign runs that way. Either by DM style, or just the nature of the current quest which prohibits stops. And with few classes dependent on Short rests, stopping for a whole hour becomes problematic (narratively, if nothing else). Which is why I suggested it had to be short enough that it could be taken as a breather while the Long Rest classes loot the bodies and such.

Remove ads

Remove ads