• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And then we're back to the five minute work day. "Oh, you blew 14 spell slots that fight? Guess I have to let you take a long rest now or the next fight will unfairly kill you."
That’s a problem with daily resource management that encounter-based resource management alleviates.
There are simply times when it's not possible (story-wise) to take a rest.
Of course there are. For both short and long rests, though any time a short rest isn’t possible, neither is a long rest. And there are times a short rest is possible and a long rest is not. But always it is a player decision wherever the risk of resting (for whatever lengthy of time) is worth taking.
Maybe some groups are allowed to stop the plot any time they want, but that goes against the grain for us.
I don’t think that’s the case for very many groups.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I totally agree. But there seems to an expectation that instead of managing their resources, they should be allowed to rest anytime they want.
Not at all. Only that the DM isn’t the arbiter of when rests are and are not allowed.
Obviously this was a bit of hyperbole on my part, but it’s starting to get tiresome being constantly told we’re doing it wrong by respecting the fiction of the story and not stopping the minute we run low on resource X.
Nobody is suggesting you stop the minute you run low on resource X. Managing your resources is part of the challenge of the game. A character with resources that recover on a short rest needs to be considering when to spend those resources and when to hold on to them, on an encounter-by-encounter basis. That is a fun gameplay pattern for some people.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
it’s starting to get tiresome being constantly told we’re doing it wrong by respecting the fiction of the story and not stopping the minute we run low on resource X.
I wonder if it's as tiresome as beings told our games that are both fun and challenging AND have short rests shouldn't exist and shouldn't be supported is?

Or as tiresome as the constant "I know better then you that you don't count" that is thrown around here and else where about D&D

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The game doesn't make it worth trying that stuff as you're at the mercy of the DM whether it works.

I'm seeing the meat example being like that Simpson's episode where Homer throws a steak to distract a guard dog and it just gulps it down on the run and continues the chase. "Run faster, boy! He's got a taste for meat now!"
Then maybe the best thing to do is to let go and allow yourself to be at the mercy of the DM. Really, that's kinda the biggest thing about the game: you're always at the DM's mercy. Even casting spells RAW, the DM might have countermeasures against magic because that's within their pervue. And it doesn't have to be hostile DM'ing, you just encountered an unfortunately exceptional enemy.

Casting Charm Person on the bandit captain while they just happen to be wearing a ring of mind shielding is still a situation where the DM was the one pulling the strings. They might not have even been preparing for your specific character and made the NPC long before you made the character and chose the spells. Its still something the DM had control over.

Hey, maybe the meat does get ignored. Tough luck, but as long as the DM isn't being actively hostile to the players (and you can tell) then there isn't any shame in trying and failing a solution.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
A handful of posters on Enworld and Reddit ≠ "the fan base." Just because like 10 or 11 loid online people really like or dislike a particular UA is not indicative of how the survey of thousands of fans will hash out. Quite seperate, based on what I've seen.
The Revised Ranger was well-received based on surveys and after, what, 5 years? it was weakened again.

So was the manuevers on all fighters.

They really haven't made drastic swings in their designs based on player feedback.

Reef

Hero
I wonder if it's as tiresome as beings told our games that are both fun and challenging AND have short rests shouldn't exist and shouldn't be supported is?

Or as tiresome as the constant "I know better then you that you don't count" that is thrown around here and else where about D&D
I’m pretty sure I’ve never claimed short rests shouldn’t exist. I’ve only suggested that the reason people think Warlocks don’t get enough spells is that the availability of Short Rests vary considerably table to table and adventure to adventure.

Being told the problem is all on our end for not forcing our DM to stop and let us rest is not helpful. Not if WOTC is claiming huge feedback saying Warlocks need more better recharging. It can’t be just an us issue.

“I know better than you” is certainly annoying, and I hope I haven’t done that. I’ve only stated how our games go, and the fact that I’ve heard other people talk about not getting the expected rests, it would seem we’re not completely alone. I’m certainly not saying other posters are lying when they say their adventures have sufficient rests. I’m just saying that hasn’t been my experience.

OB1

Jedi Master
Been a crazy week at work, so I'm just getting the chance to dig into this packet. Overall, really like this UA, and now that so much of the picture has been revealed, it's making me like the previous packets more than I originally did (even the Druid, which I completely hated) and feels like with the survey feedback, 2024 should shape up nicely (not to mention I'll still allow 2014 builds in games moving forward for anyone who prefers that version of the class). Some quick thoughts.

Barbarian - Solid quality of life improvements, especially with the Berserker. Not sure I have any complaints or changes here.

Fighter - Adaptable Victor should be a 1st level feature for all fighters. Second Wind should start at 3 uses and go up from there. LOVE the new Indominable (way better than my current house rule that it works like Legendary Saves), wouldn't mind if they added a second ability that let's you spend a hit die as a reaction to add to any saving throw at the same level.

Sorcerer - Love, love, love the changes here. Super flavorful. Wouldn't mind if Subtle spell changed to a class feature that doesn't use metamagic and instead comes online by picking 1 component type at 1st, 5th, 11th and then remove expendable material components at 17th. I'd prefer they keep Wish with the chance to lose the spell if you stress it (but you still keep the 1-8th level spell replacement ability). Maybe let you get back the lost portion of Wish when you gain a level. Like that you don't prepare spells everyday but can prepare metamagics. Can't wait to play this new version of the sorcerer.

Warlock - Absolutely love the diversity of builds possible with this class now. I was shocked at the loss of pact magic at first, and think there could be a compromise. Max out the spells per spell level at 2, then give Pact Recovery once or twice per day that replenishes your two highest slots on a short rest. Keeps the feel of getting your most powerful magic back, while reducing the hoarding of slots and the NEED for short rests to stay effective.

Wizard - Like the new mechanics here. When going from Modify to Create, some of those features need a spell level increase with them. Not sure how I feel about the Concentration modification, seems way too strong even with a level increase. Maybe nerf it to only work until the end of your next turn, then advantage afterwards.

The Missing Monk - Have a feeling this class is going to end up as a half-caster Gish class, with the monk being a subclass. I'm betting they waited to put it out to get a really focused look at it, and I suspect that we'll get all 4 subclasses with the release so that the full design versatility of the class can be seen. I see a Warlock type class but with a Warrior instead of Mage primary focus.

Love the weapon mastery rules in general, and am liking the design decision to make short rests recharges more nice to haves than must haves.

HammerMan

Legend
Harry Dresden is a sorcerer/wizard/warlock juggling 1-4 pacts at the same time.

The new rules for subclasses works better for him now as none of the PHB sorcerer pacts match is origin and Harry is rocking at least 2 pacts at all times.
Dresden would have divine soul sorcerer (born on Halloween) bladepact fey (winter knight) fiend pact chain (lash) wizard (warmage) fighter (eldritch knight)

Looks like a 3e character

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Been a crazy week at work, so I'm just getting the chance to dig into this packet. Overall, really like this UA, and now that so much of the picture has been revealed, it's making me like the previous packets more than I originally did (even the Druid, which I completely hated) and feels like with the survey feedback, 2024 should shape up nicely (not to mention I'll still allow 2014 builds in games moving forward for anyone who prefers that version of the class). Some quick thoughts.

Barbarian - Solid quality of life improvements, especially with the Berserker. Not sure I have any complaints or changes here.

Fighter - Adaptable Victor should be a 1st level feature for all fighters. Second Wind should start at 3 uses and go up from there. LOVE the new Indominable (way better than my current house rule that it works like Legendary Saves), wouldn't mind if they added a second ability that let's you spend a hit die as a reaction to add to any saving throw at the same level.

Sorcerer - Love, love, love the changes here. Super flavorful. Wouldn't mind if Subtle spell changed to a class feature that doesn't use metamagic and instead comes online by picking 1 component type at 1st, 5th, 11th and then remove expendable material components at 17th. I'd prefer they keep Wish with the chance to lose the spell if you stress it (but you still keep the 1-8th level spell replacement ability). Maybe let you get back the lost portion of Wish when you gain a level. Like that you don't prepare spells everyday but can prepare metamagics. Can't wait to play this new version of the sorcerer.

Warlock - Absolutely love the diversity of builds possible with this class now. I was shocked at the loss of pact magic at first, and think there could be a compromise. Max out the spells per spell level at 2, then give Pact Recovery once or twice per day that replenishes your two highest slots on a short rest. Keeps the feel of getting your most powerful magic back, while reducing the hoarding of slots and the NEED for short rests to stay effective.

Wizard - Like the new mechanics here. When going from Modify to Create, some of those features need a spell level increase with them. Not sure how I feel about the Concentration modification, seems way too strong even with a level increase. Maybe nerf it to only work until the end of your next turn, then advantage afterwards.

The Missing Monk - Have a feeling this class is going to end up as a half-caster Gish class, with the monk being a subclass. I'm betting they waited to put it out to get a really focused look at it, and I suspect that we'll get all 4 subclasses with the release so that the full design versatility of the class can be seen. I see a Warlock type class but with a Warrior instead of Mage primary focus.

Love the weapon mastery rules in general, and am liking the design decision to make short rests recharges more nice to haves than must haves.
Undersigned with all of this.

Remove ads

Remove ads