D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Shows Us The New Druid & Paladin

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses. Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here. Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here. Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your...

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 3.49.37 PM.png

Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your feedback, with more revised feats coming in future articles.

Spells. More spells are ready for playtesting, with a focus on smite spells, Find Familiar, and Find Steed.

Rules Glossary. The rules glossary has been updated again and supersedes the glossary in previous Unearthed Arcana articles. In this document, any underlined term in the body text appears in that glossary, which defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don’t appear in the 2014 Player’s Handbook.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Upgrade: raise (something) to a higher standard, in particular improve (equipment or machinery) by adding or replacing components.

seriously? words have definitions, they matter in communication. windows 8 fixed things from window 7, window 10 fixed things from windows 8 etc etc. There are patch notes telling you what they fixed. Please use the dictionary when you decide to argue what a word means. Just because someone else who didn't learn the definition used it wrongly or rightly doesn't mean a thing.
Yes, technically. But not all upgrades are better than what they're "upgrading" and some just aren't good at all. Windows Millennium comes to mind.

nevin

Hero
well if i t's not compatible with everything then it's a 3.5 stealth upgrade. If you have to buy new books to play and we are arguing it's not an upgrade then I'm out on discussing it because we've left reality behind.

nevin

Hero
Yes, technically. But not all upgrades are better than what they're "upgrading" and some just aren't good at all. Windows Millennium comes to mind.
A lot like this upgrade that WOTC is working on. there is nothing driving it but a need for sales. It's hard to keep the customer happy when you aren't working to satisfy them.

well if i t's not compatible with everything then it's a 3.5 stealth upgrade. If you have to buy new books to play and we are arguing it's not an upgrade then I'm out on discussing it because we've left reality behind.
that's the thing... at the table how do you have the player with the 2014 book interact with rules from teh 2024 book... once you start kitbashing home ruling and home brewing fixes you are WAY beyond the basic idea of back compatibility.

It would be easier for me to hand a player the 2024 book and say "take the same concept and stats and remakes it using this book is going to be my guess

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because most of the core isn't changing, so it's only a .5. It's certainly not going to be fully compatible with all of those changes, though, despite what a lot of people are claiming.
Fair enough. Define what "core" means to you. Is it just the math? The concept of a level-based class system? What makes both versions of the game 5e to you?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
That is the crux of it to me. This druid just seems drastically less  fun than literally any other version of the class.
At least we, if we want to, can provide feedback if we like the changes or not. I’m glad it’s not the 1975-1998 were play testing was about 30 or 40 people listed in the front cover and we hope the entire player base likes the design team final iteration. I haven’t had a chance to read the play test yet plan too before we feedback site portal opens.

I haven’t read 23 pages of comments but I hope when I do I don’t see to many, why should I help them design the game by giving feedback type comments…that’s not very productive to trying or make the game better/fun before it’s released.

Side note, this is not directed at Micah just hit reply about the less fun part and hopefully people give their feedback.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads