D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Shows Us The New Druid & Paladin

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses. Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here. Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here. Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your...

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 3.49.37 PM.png

Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your feedback, with more revised feats coming in future articles.

Spells. More spells are ready for playtesting, with a focus on smite spells, Find Familiar, and Find Steed.

Rules Glossary. The rules glossary has been updated again and supersedes the glossary in previous Unearthed Arcana articles. In this document, any underlined term in the body text appears in that glossary, which defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don’t appear in the 2014 Player’s Handbook.

Moorcrys

Explorer
Moon Druid wildshape in the 2014 version is a mess. They start off overpowered and then fall away disappointingly on top of forcing everyone into the Land of the Lost to have consistently useful forms until higher levels (which is fine for some campaigns but isn't necessarily a universal fit).

I'm glad they addressed it - but I think they could make it better by keeping the generic base builds (I would add a 'tiny' build) and adding a list of abilities that you can choose from, then allow Moon Druids to choose from a larger list - like Invocations, etc. Leave the generic base builds as they are and then have a list of Wild Shape 'enhancement slots' like "roar", "spider climb", "web", "jumper", "carapace", "flying", "chameleon", "constriction", "crushing hug", "poison bite", "trip", "pack tactics", "tracker" etc. and allow a druid to choose x from the list. Some enhancements would preclude others (such as a tiny build with bear hug). Give the Moon Druid more slots to fill or exclusive enhancements to choose that other druids don't have access to. Then give several templates for several animals and the enhancements you would pick for them - "wolf" "bear" "flying snake" "tiger" etc. - so that new players can just grab and go with a template.

dave2008

Legend
II think the idea of generic wildshapes is fine, but I think what we see here can be improved a bit. Maybe just add a section of "Special Traits" and have a list of interesting traits (like ambusher, or pack tactics, or spider climb, etc.) and you can pick one when you change into your wildshape. I think something like that would do it for me.

ninja'd by @Moorcrys by a few seconds!

EDIT: The special traits could then be a way to differentiate Wildshape for different subclasses. So different subclasses could get access to different traits.

Could we please, in this thread about druids and paladins, not re-litigate whether this clear and obvious rules revision that changes many things and leaves many things the same is or isn't a new 'edition?' Sounds like something that could easily have its' own thread.

Initial thoughts:
Just in general (with this UA and the previous) I like the removal of the 'semi-obvious exploit' and 'strictly-best-options' things like one-handed-quarterstaff+shield+PAM, reaction-SA on Rogue, owl familiar flyby-spell-delivery-service, bonus-action spell and massive smiting being a power-nova option for paladins, and so on. I was disappointed that the rogue didn't get some commensurate boost to keep them at the same relative level; I'm not sure if I think Find Familiar needs any such thing (leaning towards no).

Druid no longer has the RP-dictation armor limitation, but by default probably will be using padded/leather/studded*. Seems like a good compromise.
*which we haven't seen a new version clarifying it as metallic by default
Druid starting equipment includes sickle and shield, but then staff as spell focus. For this starting druid, mistletoe on a necklace or similar focus would make more sense*.
*side note: I will keep advocating for them to spend significant time looking at things like whether non-clerics should get a 'holy symbol on one's shield option, whether staff foci can double as weapon-staves, and other things which really change how easy it is to play class X (especially as a front-liner) based on your DM's rulings.
Druid introduction focuses strongly on the ecological balance/harmony-with-nature angle of the druid. I know that's the dominant line since 2e (with roots going earlier), but I'll advocate for a bit more of the 'scary robed figures in the woods'/'nature, red of tooth and claw' interpretation of druids to get put back into the intro text.

Wild Shape has clearly been changed -- both in mechanics and in clear role. No more searching through the beast entries for the optimal choice, nor turning into a beast predominantly as a source of extra HP. Actually, the lack of extra HP and low-ish AC is going to be a real issue for wild-shape combat (the moon druid can cast heals in wild shape, but this runs into the fundamental crumminess of in-combat healing). I will advocate in my feedback that the Moon druid -- assuming they want them to stay a melee characters -- ought get a set number of temporary HP, an AC boost, or both. Also that they should not just have a design goal of making a wildshaped character simpler to play, but additionally have a solid (and well-communicated) notion of how they expect the average player be using wildshape -- are Moon Druids gish- or melee-cleric-like frontliners? Are non-moon druids mostly going to be using them for infiltration/disguise/alternate movement types? We're revising the game, there's no reason not to be looking at various aspects of both classes as a whole and individual features and asking 'is there a specific reason this is here, and if so, exactly how are the PCs going to capitalize upon having them? Also that (as everyone else has mentioned) wildshaping into a tiny shape ought not be a high-level ability, since, with a set form, I'm not really sure what abuse they are trying to prevent. Also also I will be reminding them that many people aren't married to druids as wildshapers (or pet-summoners, for that matter) and to keep the alternate uses for channel nature coming with the other druid archetypes.

Wild Companion has moved the 'use a wildshape to get a familiar for an hour' ability from Tasha's to the PHB. I... don't really like Find Familiar as a spell to begin with (feeling that it is a class feature disguised as a spell), but if anyone should have it, a druid should.

Healing Blossoms is flavorful as can be. I don't like it being set power level x prime-attribute-modifier (making not going for 20 in the stat ASAP and instead broadening your character a double-jeopardy), I thought we were moving away from that (bard inspirations being a prime example). Also, non-bonus action healing action that only heals 1-5D4 is pretty tame, especially if you don't get 2 uses per SR.

Upper Level features: Other than turning into a mouse at 11th being way too late (and circumventing an earlier-level abuse I can't fathom), I don't seen anything here too notable. Again, they seem to have tamped down on earth-shattering high-level class features, and as long as they are consistent in that approach, it is fine (especially for spellcasters, who will stick with the class for each new level of spells).

Paladin now has more sidebar on oathbreaking (than I remember in 2014 PHB, I will have to check), but still leaves it mostly DM-dependent. This is fine in and of itself, but I feel it only makes sense for someone who has the context of D&D of yester-year. I can only imagine a person absolutely new to D&D with the 2024 book reading something like this and having no idea as to whether it is something that is supposed to be a big feature of playing a paladin.

Paladin starting equipment is sword and shield, but then non-emblem holy symbol. WotC, please stop making the starting equipment package something no one with any experience would ever choose, it is literally supposed to be a default for people new to the game to not make beginner's mistakes.

Level one includes spellcasting, and is thus not just like a fighter level 1, but worse. I approve.

Smite: smiting is now no longer melee-only (also, fighting style options include archery). I like the expansion of the notion of what paladinhood means. Smiting now is also once/round, and not in a round where spells were cast. They really are reigning in action-economy exploits. Personally I wouldn't have minded excluding casting and for bonus-action and reaction attacks, but still getting to smite 2/round for paladins with multiattack (and I guess a third for dual-wielders, since that's now not a bonus action), but stand behind the general reasoning. Still, if Nova-ing or sorcadins/pallocks* was part of the reason, I'd have loved them to have put limits like not pact magic slots or only spell slots up to max-paladin-spell casting or such.
*sidebars indicate that they finally are thinking about multiclass interactions (or at least communicating that they are).

Smite spells are now bonus action, usable after to-hit, and non-concentration. I imagine people actually memorizing and using them with this change (previously I had never seen them except with Forge Clerics or others who had them auto-memorized, and rarely even then).

Aura of protection is now level 7. No strong opinion, but I know several people who considered L6 the time to duck out of paladin might change their minds now (and then level 8 and a a feat is just one more level...).

High level: No change since 2014 -- there are lots of little bits and bobs which aren't horrible, but often won't keep people in the class (especially with the great synergy with sorcerers or warlocks). After Aura of Protection some people stick to L8 for the feat, others to L11 for +1d8/attack, but then there's a long gulf between that and a 30' Aura where the only thing keeping them in paladin is how long it will take to get up to L3+ spells in some other class (and L4&5 paladin spells don't seem to keep people there). I think something really useful in the 13-16 range would have been a good idea (also just a real re-think on what levels 6+ should look like for the classes who get one extra-attack at 5, but no more afterwards. It seems like territory not terribly well thought-out in 2013 that isn't really being re-examined).

Other: Spells I've already mentioned I like the new smites, and would rather find familiar not be a spell in the first place (but if it is, this version is fine). No other basic rules I noticed a major change upon.

All-in-all, not seriously disappointed. Exploits removed, power levels a little brought down (which seems to be universal), and that being true for 2014 heavy-hitter Moon Druid. If Wizards come out and we see that they too have had their worst excesses reigned in, I'll just assume that OneD&D is just a little bit lower-power and that's fine. I will put in my responses that they really should look at wildshape in general and post-extra-attack and initial aura of protection paladins and decide what exactly they think their design goal is, and then take another crack at it. Otherwise, relatively happy.

I don't like that it takes until level 11 for Druids to be able to wild shape into a tiny form. In practice, this means that most players will never get to use this aspect of wild shape, and I love it at low levels - it leads to excellent role play situations and gives players a lot of problem solving options if they are clever.

Yeah, I'm perfectly happy with fixed stat blocks for Druids and summons. I hate when new monster books become new PC abilities. It just becomes "find the optimal damage per CR and then smash that button." Like that's not a deep or compelling strategy or tactic. Especially when its, "stop the game and find something buried in the Monster Manual that has the random ability I need." It discourages picking forms that fit your character and encourages picking the rarest, least realistic creature in the book.

However, I hate that Wild Shape is still siloed into a de facto combat-only ability. When the Wizard gets Alter Self a 3rd (2nd), Water Breathing at 5th (3rd), Fly at 5th (3rrd), and Polymorph at 7th (4th), it's really aggravating that Druid can't do better than that with it's defining class feature that's supposed to let you do exactly that.

I want wild shape give us a travel form (climb, swim, fly, or move quickly), a combat form, a stealthy/scent form, and (for Moon Druid) an elemental form. Make the travel and stealthy forms not suitable for combat. You turn into a squirrel or mole or spider or codfish or sparrow. Scale each form by level, and give them to the Druid at or before the level the Cleric and Wizard get the spells that do the same thing.

The level 7 ability and level 9 ability shouldn't be when you get aquatic and flight. At best it's when the combat forms can get aquatic and flight. And even then they should probably be lower, because Alter Self and Water Breathing and Polymorph still exist!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I wish they would either get rid of "number of uses a day" for wildshape, or make wildshape last up to a number of hours a day equal to your proficiency bonus along with the ability to switch back and forth between your ordinary species and the wildshape form at will. So, in effect, you can use your wildshape nearly any time you need it.

If this is what the class is about, then make it available all the time.

Remove ads

Remove ads