New site (minor update)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Been screwing around with inline frames and such (easier to maintain and update...blah blah blah).

I've tested them in NS 6.2 + and IE 5.5 + and they seem to work fine. Looking at the site hits/visitors, the majority of people seem to be using IE 5.5+ so this should be all good. (If I go with iframes, I'll set up a separate page of sorts for those that seem to be having trouble.)

Anybody wanting to test it can go to the link below. The Fiend Factory links (except the monster errata and How To article) work and load in the center iframe.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/test/index.html

and post and problems here.

One slight problem I have found...NS likes to append whitespace onto the end of the main news section and doesn't like one of my tags in the stylesheets. Minor glitch that I'll work out. But everything else seems to work.

(EDIT: Fixed both glitches.)

So- check the stuff and lemme know (if ya want to...)

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Coupla things:

1. I like the overall look and color scheme much, much better in this version. Very classy and readable!

2. I reserve judgement on the iframe stuff until I have a chance to load the test page on my Mac at home (rather than work PC).

3. Pet peeve of mine: the paragraph tag has had a closing tag since about 1998. Please, please use it. ;) Most of the places where you're using paragraphs for spacing, one of the following options would be much cleaner and more reliable:

a. use break tags; these also have the added bonus of being able to break you down to below the images with one tag, if you use the CLEAR attribute.

b. use the paragraphs as block elements, and use styles to control the margins between them.

The version of your earlier design I did uses mostly (a): example

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Sixten said:
Coupla things:

1. I like the overall look and color scheme much, much better in this version. Very classy and readable!

2. I reserve judgement on the iframe stuff until I have a chance to load the test page on my Mac at home (rather than work PC).

3. Pet peeve of mine: the paragraph tag has had a closing tag since about 1998. Please, please use it. ;) Most of the places where you're using paragraphs for spacing, one of the following options would be much cleaner and more reliable:

a. use break tags; these also have the added bonus of being able to break you down to below the images with one tag, if you use the CLEAR attribute.

b. use the paragraphs as block elements, and use styles to control the margins between them.

The version of your earlier design I did uses mostly (a): example

Right- just never given much thought to the </p> tag (bad coding etiquette I know). I'll most likely go back and clean it up a bit before launching the new site (which should also have something really big to go along with it if all goes as planned).

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Krishnath said:
Other than the news section not showing in netscape 4.73 I have no comments. (It works in IE 5.0 though...)

Yeppers- Currently, Internet Explorer 4+ and Netscape 6+ are the only browsers that support IFRAME tags.

EDIT: I'll probably put a link up so those few that have probs can still see the latest stuff or enclose the <IFRAME> tags inside <LAYER> tags which NS 4 can read and which function about the same..... :D

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Grazzt said:
Right- just never given much thought to the </p> tag (bad coding etiquette I know).
Just one of those things that -- as someone who does web applications dev for a living -- kinda bugs me. Not picking on you personally. :D

On the iframe tip, by the way -- does Morrus have his server set up to do server-side includes? That (or doing something similar with ASP/PHP) would be an excellent way of accomplishing your goal (to break the news out into an easier-to-update file) without depending on browser-specific features.

(which should also have something really big to go along with it if all goes as planned).

Ooh! Any hints??

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Sixten said:

Ooh! Any hints??

Sure- it includes ASP (as a matter of fact), conversions, new monsters, another website, a turning point (and natural extension) for the Creature Catalog, etc..... :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Sixten said:

On the iframe tip, by the way -- does Morrus have his server set up to do server-side includes? That (or doing something similar with ASP/PHP) would be an excellent way of accomplishing your goal (to break the news out into an easier-to-update file) without depending on browser-specific features.

Agreed. And yeppers, I believe the ENWorld server is set for SSI.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Sixten:

ASP test file. Yeppers it works.

Here's the code:

<html>
<body>
<p>This is the text in the text file:</p>
<%
Set fs=Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set f=fs.OpenTextFile(Server.MapPath("testread.txt"), 1)
Response.Write(f.ReadAll)
f.Close

Set f=Nothing
Set fs=Nothing
%>
</body>
</html>

and here's the results:

http://www.enworld.org/cc/test/asp_test.asp

Might have to explore that route rather than IFRAME. Just trying to keep it simple and such.

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Grazzt said:
ASP test file. Yeppers it works.

But it gets even easier. :) ASP itself implements the SSI include directive. So rather than going through all of that, just do this:

Code:
[COLOR=silver]<html>
<body>
<p>This is the text in the text file:</p>
<!--#include virtual="testread.txt"-->
</body>
</html>[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases