D&D 5E New Spellcasting Blocks for Monsters --- Why?!

Yep, for me that is the big loss in the MM and DMG. I love the simple design of 5e monsters for people not using magic items, the basic rules, or not interesting in really any optimization. However, WotC really should have provide guidance on how to modify monsters / encounters to accommodate those groups. There are a few simple things you can do to bring monsters more in line with those groups expactations.
That's what DM empowerment is for!

I am not sure if it has been mentioned in the 8 pages of comments so far, but there is significant nerf to possibly many classes/subclasses with this new non spell based attack stat blocks. I strongly doubt it was planned by WOTC, because, frankly, they are not that bright.

But visualize the impact on chars that have spells/effects/features like this one:

Aura of Warding: Beginning at 7th level, ancient magic lies so heavily upon you that it forms an eldritch ward. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells.

Improved Abjuration​

Beginning at 10th level, when you cast an abjuration spell that requires you to make an ability check as a part of casting that spell (as in Counterspell and Dispel Magic), you add your proficiency bonus to that ability check.

Spell Resistance​

Starting at 14th level, you have advantage on saving throws against spells.
Furthermore, you have resistance against the damage of spells.

Those are three that I came up knowing what I know of Ancient Paladins and Abjuration Wizards. Are there more? You tell me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am not sure if it has been mentioned in the 8 pages of comments so far, but there is significant nerf to possibly many classes/subclasses with this new non spell based attack stat blocks. I strongly doubt it was planned by WOTC, because, frankly, they are not that bright.
First, there is a fundamental difference between "nerfing" a power and buffing enemies. Secondly, making Monsters more dangerous was definitely a goal here.

NotAYakk

Legend
I really really hate the new spellcasting blocks. Just...why? Why was this done?

How does this make it "easier" for DMs?
  1. I have no idea the caster level of the monster.
5e doesn't have a concept of "caster level". That isn't a game statistic in 5e D&D.

It was in 3e D&D. It wasn't needed in 5e.

PCs have spell slots and spells known/prepared. For single classed PCs, their class determines their spell slots; for multiclassed, there are optional rules about how to add together their class levels to calculate their spell slots.

5e tried to avoid "behind the scenes" numbers like "caster level" in favor of more concrete things, like "spell slots".
  1. I have no idea up to what spell levels they have access to because of that or how many spell slots they have.
In combat, you have what magic they have access to, for the given monster's CR.

Out of combat, you get to pick what level of magic they have access to, as a DM.

If they use out of combat magic to boost their in-combat abilities, that effects their CR. The DMG has rules on how to adjust monster CR.

First, there is a fundamental difference between "nerfing" a power and buffing enemies. Secondly, making Monsters more dangerous was definitely a goal here.
It is one thing to overall buff monsters. I am all for buffing monsters. The CR rating system is a total mess. But, to specifically nerf some subclasses/classes, that is not good design, unless that subclass/class has been identified as OP.

cfmcdonald

Explorer
5e doesn't have a concept of "caster level". That isn't a game statistic in 5e D&D.

It was in 3e D&D. It wasn't needed in 5e.

PCs have spell slots and spells known/prepared. For single classed PCs, their class determines their spell slots; for multiclassed, there are optional rules about how to add together their class levels to calculate their spell slots.
Yes, their class and level determines their spell slots. Just like it says in the lich entry in the Monster Manual: "The lich is an 18th level spellcaster." Obviously this is what people mean by caster level here, even though the term "caster level" is not technically used in 5e. Can we lay this pedantry to rest now?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Otherwise you end up with weird stuff like devils, angels, fey and Cthulhu giving out the exact same cantrip. One that weirdly no other spellcaster can access. That's breaking versimilutude more than viewing Eldritch Blast as a modell for a variety of spell attacks. That also leaves options to refluff your spells.

You know, Eldritch Blast has always bugged me for this exact reason. But you have solved it for me. Thank you!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Sure it is... or was anyway...

1654912164405.png

Sniped!
Yes, their class and level determines their spell slots. Just like it says in the lich entry in the Monster Manual: "The lich is an 18th level spellcaster." Obviously this is what people mean by caster level here, even though the term "caster level" is not technically used in 5e. Can we lay this pedantry to rest now?

Remove ads