New Star Trek TV Series In Development

Kzach

Banned
Banned
The vision that we have created is true to the “pre-2009 screen canon” (TV and movies). We were also careful with the Star Trek: Enterprise canon as well. Through the years, I have had the chance to get to know many of the original series cast, crew, and even some of the studio execs. I have developed an extremely deep passion for the original vision of Gene Roddenberry. And while Star Trek has moved on with other series that were not exactly in line with Gene’s original vision, the roots are there to tap into.

As a fan of the new movie and as someone who despises Voyager and Enterprise for all the stupid crap they added to the ST universe, this does not inspire me even one tiny little bit.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
As a fan of the new movie and as someone who despises Voyager and Enterprise for all the stupid crap they added to the ST universe, this does not inspire me even one tiny little bit.

Voyager adds Quantum Slipstream for faster and longer travel (meaning better exploration stories)...there isn't really much else.

The majority of stuff that happened in Enterprise is so far in the past it can be ignored, and for the record everything that happened in Enterprise happened in the 2009 movie too because its BEFORE Kirk's era and before Nero's incursion into the timeline altering it. Scotty even mentions Archer's dog in the movie.

Cor Azer

First Post
Interesting, but fairly light on details, so it's hard to evaluate.

Abrams' movie does allow for both continuities to exist of course - TV Trek in the original universe (perhaps even having an arc dealing with the supernova that takes out Romulus), and the movie franchise in the new/alternate universe. Plenty of ways to give shout outs to one another too.

Dire Bare

Legend
I loved the 2009 movie, and had no problems with the new cast and the reimagined look of the Enterprise.

But the time travel and continuity changes were, IMO, unnecessary and stupid.

If/when our new Trek show hits out internet-enabled TV screens (or our TV-enabled internet computers), I hope there is ONE time travel episode, and ONE only . . . where the Time Police (or whatever they're called) from the future come back and "fix" the "incident" from the movie. Heh.

After that, no more time travel stories. They just get irritating (to me).

Looks like Fall of 2013 at the earliest. After Enterprise, that there would be another series was inevitable. The only real problem with having the show in TNG/DS9/Voyager continuity is fans will want cameos from those shows casts. Hopefully they're putting a decade or more after Voyager so the age of the characters matches the aging of the actors.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But the time travel and continuity changes were, IMO, unnecessary and stupid.

Actually, they make a lot of sense, in the context of another potential series.

Trek has become akin to modern mythology, or Shakespeare. It was only a matter of time before the iconic characters were taken on by other actors.

The fans are willing to accept a movie with a clear continuity break. That's easy to wrap a mind around. However, I don't think the fans are ready for a TV series that has a similar continuity break.

And, IMHO, Enterprise was the greatest wasted opportunity the property has ever seen. No, it didn't fail because of franchise fatigue. It failed because B&B didn't realize what they should do with it. Manny Coto knew, and from the point they handed over the reigns to him to deal with movies, the difference is palpable. it was merely to little, too late. I think if Coto had the reigns from the beginning, the show would have been a solid success.

Starman

Adventurer
I'd be sort of surprised if the powers that be let this move forward in the old timeline. My guess is that they would look at the popularity of the recent movie, the lack of popularity with the last two TV shows, and think that it would be a better bet for a new TV series to stick with the new timeline.

Remove ads