New Star Trek TV Series In Development

Starman

Adventurer
If things stay in the old timeline, I think what I would like to see in a new TV series is something that really shakes things up, some sort of galaxy wide apocalyptic event. This even would destroy large parts of the Federation and Starfleet. The series could follow the travels of a starship as it worked to explore the extent of the damage, reestablish contact with systems that have been cutoff, and just dealing with a new order. Many starbases were lost/destroyed so repairs and re-supplies are still available, but are harder to come by.

I just think that if they stick too close to the status quo, it will feel like more of the same. I want to see them really give things a jolt and see what kind of stories come out. I want a universe that feels dangerous. I'm not saying I want a grim 'n' gritty Trek, but a dark place where the bright light of the Federation and Starfleet is struggling to stay lit.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
But you're right, Trek fans are known for their love of continuity, and this was probably necessary to allow Abrams to tell new stories without worrying about continuity minutiae and irritating legions of Trekkies across the nation.

And yet, you're still irritated.

Gronin

Explorer
Now BSG has pushed the bar for scifi even higher. Can they make a Star Trek that's as relevant, innovative and today as the original was in the '60s?

While I couldn't agree more with this statement this is also at the root of what worries me most about a new series.

In the case of BSG the new and reimagined characters and story was phenomenal (until the last few episodes --- but that is probably for a different thread). It had been a long time since the original and to be frank, as much as I enjoyed the original, it needed to be reworked for today's market.

However, in the case of Star Gate Universe it didn't work (at least not for me). Star Gate was still fresh in the minds of it's audience and the brand carried with it certain expectations which were not met by SGU. Star Gate (SG1 and Atlantis) were shows which had a certain sense of optimism, the revolved around closely knit teams which cared for each other, and they had a sense of humour. Now that may or may not have been your cup of tea, but regardless to many fans SGU was not Star Gate.

I see it as likely that any new Star Trek show that tries to capture the BSG feel and get "gritty and real" are likely to lose a lot of it's audience.

Whatever timeline they chose to follow it is my hope that Star Trek will remain Star Trek, although if anyone were to ask me I have two suggestions.

1/Mackenzie Calhoun from the Peter David stories

or

2/we could always return to the roots of Star Trek and Bring Back Kirk: The Official Site

Sammael

Adventurer
DS9 was by far my favorite of the original 4 ST series. I didn't watch Enterprise beyond the initial few episodes, and I found most of Voyager to be horrible (particularly because of the character of Janeway).

I think the reason I liked DS9 more than the other shows is because it had a much tighter and more involved storyline. It didn't hurt that it also had one of the awesomest casts in the history of Trek.

GreyLord

Legend
DS9 was by far my favorite of the original 4 ST series. I didn't watch Enterprise beyond the initial few episodes, and I found most of Voyager to be horrible (particularly because of the character of Janeway).

I think the reason I liked DS9 more than the other shows is because it had a much tighter and more involved storyline. It didn't hurt that it also had one of the awesomest casts in the history of Trek.

I'm an old guy, so it should be no surprise that I favor the original Star Trek series.

I would be absolutely delighted if this new series got the greenlight from CBS. I love the Star Trek movie that came in (2009), but I also love the continuity of the old timeline (well, with a few exceptions from Enterprise, they really screwed the pooch on some of their ideas there), that includes Voyager even.

Orius

Legend
I like that the idea is to put it at the end of the main timeline. The events in VOY can largely be ignored since they happened over on the other side of the galaxy. But the end of the main timeline means building on the stuff that happened in DS9 -- and that is good news. Of all the series, DS9 did the most to really build up the universe of the franchise, so it's got the best foundation they can build on.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
If things stay in the old timeline, I think what I would like to see in a new TV series is something that really shakes things up, some sort of galaxy wide apocalyptic event. This even would destroy large parts of the Federation and Starfleet. The series could follow the travels of a starship as it worked to explore the extent of the damage, reestablish contact with systems that have been cutoff, and just dealing with a new order. Many starbases were lost/destroyed so repairs and re-supplies are still available, but are harder to come by.

I just think that if they stick too close to the status quo, it will feel like more of the same. I want to see them really give things a jolt and see what kind of stories come out. I want a universe that feels dangerous. I'm not saying I want a grim 'n' gritty Trek, but a dark place where the bright light of the Federation and Starfleet is struggling to stay lit.

The Novels that follow the TV Timeline (Destiny and Typhon Pact Series) include a final showdown with...
The Borg. It is a major apocalyptic event. Thousands of Cubes invade Federation Space and destroy a massive fleet assembled that includes Federation, Cardassian, Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, Breen and even Ferengi Ships in seconds. Many worlds are completely and utterly destroyed and made lifeless, starbases vaporized. It spurs the creation of the Typhon Pact, a sort of Anti-Federation which includes the Romulan Star Empire (but not the Imperial Romulan State), The Breen, The Tholians and some other minor races. The Borg however are finally and truly gone, though the Federation doesn't believe it. The fallout is intense, Andoria leaves the Federation...
. Setting the TV Show after these events makes sense. The crews of the Enterprise and DS9 are all split up. Riker and Geordi are captaining their own ships. Worf is back on the Enterprise with Picard and Beverly, Data is still "dead". Janeway (to most of your delights) is also dead and Voyager with most of its previous crew has returned to the Delta Quadrant with a fleet of 9 other ships via Slipstream to continue exploration, look for the Borg and establish diplomatic relations between whomever is out there.

It's a perfect setting for a new crew to tell it's own stories with regular checkins and contact from the previous older crews. The Federation has no choice but to use younger and slightly untested crews as they struggle to explore and rebuild and deal with the new diplomatic landscape. It's just the perfect setting for a TV Show and changes some of the previous crutches (no more borg yay!)

Personally I'd like it if a new series addressed some of the fallout of the Dominion War. Addressing things like what happened to Cardassia, is Bajor in the Federation or not, and is there still the Federation/Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian alliance that appeared at the end of DS9.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Seeing as how a new series hasn't even been greenlit yet, I wouldn't put too much stock in this story. I'm sure new Trek has been being developed since before Enterprise was off the air. Lots of stuff gets developed all the time. A lot of it doesn't get greenlit though, and until a new series does get greenlit this is really a non-story.

All that said, the biggest problem I've had with Voyager and Enterprise (and to some extents all Trek) is that the core idea was good, but the execution left much to be desired. So if a new series gets a go, and the idea is awesome, there's still no saying that it will be any good.

Starman

Adventurer
The Novels that follow the TV Timeline (Destiny and Typhon Pact Series) include a final showdown with...
The Borg. It is a major apocalyptic event. Thousands of Cubes invade Federation Space and destroy a massive fleet assembled that includes Federation, Cardassian, Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, Breen and even Ferengi Ships in seconds. Many worlds are completely and utterly destroyed and made lifeless, starbases vaporized. It spurs the creation of the Typhon Pact, a sort of Anti-Federation which includes the Romulan Star Empire (but not the Imperial Romulan State), The Breen, The Tholians and some other minor races. The Borg however are finally and truly gone, though the Federation doesn't believe it. The fallout is intense, Andoria leaves the Federation...
. Setting the TV Show after these events makes sense. The crews of the Enterprise and DS9 are all split up. Riker and Geordi are captaining their own ships. Worf is back on the Enterprise with Picard and Beverly, Data is still "dead". Janeway (to most of your delights) is also dead and Voyager with most of its previous crew has returned to the Delta Quadrant with a fleet of 9 other ships via Slipstream to continue exploration, look for the Borg and establish diplomatic relations between whomever is out there.

It's a perfect setting for a new crew to tell it's own stories with regular checkins and contact from the previous older crews. The Federation has no choice but to use younger and slightly untested crews as they struggle to explore and rebuild and deal with the new diplomatic landscape. It's just the perfect setting for a TV Show and changes some of the previous crutches (no more borg yay!)

That does sound interesting and I think it would make a good basis for a TV series. I think I would like to push it slightly farther into the future, though, so that we don't have cameos from TNG, DS9, or Voyager. I want to see a clean break from the past and a fresh start.

Remove ads