D&D 5E New stuff?

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Does anyone have a qualified guess when we might get info on what other books to expect from WotC this year?

I'm in the camp that hope to get Spelljammer and Planescape/Manual of the Planes confirmed asap, and it's annoying with the silence. I already run a campaign with brewed Spelljammer elements, but official 5e 'jammer and plane stuff are the only thing needed for the edition to be complete to me.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Generally a few months after we get a spoiler on Amazon for an upcoming product that we can spend weeks arguing about it before the announcement gets made.

My guess is that it won't be until after the March release since they try hard to not bigfoot a new product release with an upcoming product announcement. And I bet printing delays are messing up their schedules and will end up pushing it back further.

My theory is a book about Planescape+Spelljammer, and an adventure compilation of Dragonlance with some details seriously retconnected. Maybe an UA about psionic powers, and this time "fatter" than the previous ones. New planes from M:tG could be Innistrad or Eldraine. New brand? Witchlight.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies folks. And yeah, announcement after Netherdeep makes sense of course.

As to a combined Planescape + Spelljammer book, I could make do with it. But if WotC go for a planejammer solution I will burst into a severe Iwillneverbuyawizardsbookagain grog rage ;-)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
That does lead to an interesting question though... what would be more preferable for people? A book that is ONLY Spelljammer with no Planescape (or a Planscape book with no Spelljammer) versus a book that combines Spelljamming with Sigil and the plane-hopping of Planescape into an amalgam of the two settings?

Is getting only one of the two settings for 5E preferable to getting both settings together but no longer "pure" per se?

My theory is a "Planar handbook" but with some elements from Spelljammer, like the "skyships" navigating in the "astral sea" (maybe the Wildspace can't be used to travel by fault of pirates and the vodoni empire) and races and monsters from Spelljammer.

With the new novel in this summer, this could be the best time for the return of Dragonlance as setting, but maybe the draconians will be nerferd and retconected to be closer to the dragonborns.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
They're marketing for both Call of the Neverdeep AND Mordenkainen Presents right now.

Don't expect the next product announcement (likely Spelljammer) until May, when Mordenkainen Presents comes out OFFICIALLY. But we'll likely see any Unearthed Arcana destined for the 4th product of the year - if they give us UA at all this year - before then, so we'll be able to start speculating on product #4.

That's assuming, of course, that Dragons of Stormwreck Isle isn't the 4th product of the year, which it well could be. If so, they may wait until GenCon time to announce the fall suite of products. If the new Starter set is the July/August release, we'll likely get a Sept adventure and two hefty books in October and December respectively (along with another book in November which may be a gift set or may be a remastered Hydro64 cover book, or may be a BONUS book).

We're supposed to get 2 classic settings this year in some capacity, one of which is in an entirely new format for a setting (could be the Starter Set if it's Mystara or something; gives me Isle of Dread vibes), and a third one in a cameo appearance (might even be Planescape cameoing in a Spelljammer book or vice versa), so the exact make up of the fall slate of products could vary.

Instead of a new M:tG setting this year, we might get a remaster of Ravnica given that it and SCAG are the only campaign setting books left without alt-covers. Or SCAG might in fact be the remastered product!

Based on previous release schedules this is what I expect:

1. March - Critical Role: Call of the Neverdeep
  2. May - Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse
  3. July - Starter Set: Dragons of Stormwreck Isle, set in The Known World of Mystara
  4. Sep - Adventure Module, perhaps set in Cormyr? We haven't been to Cormyr yet in 5e FR.
  5. Oct - Spelljammer Campaign Setting or WILDCARD
  6. Nov - Remaster of an old book with Hydro64 cover. Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica or Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide?
  7. Dec - Spelljammer Campaign Setting or WILDCARD

I have no idea what the Wildcard book will be. If Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica isn't remastered with alt-cover and revised lineages for its setting-specific options, then we MIGHT get Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty. Keep a close eye on the UA column, the next one will almost certainly refer to either the wild card product, the 2024 Core Rules, or something coming in 2023.

Remove ads