D&D General New Summary and Release Date for 'Dragons of Deceit'

There's a new Amazon Kindle page for Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's new Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Deceit with a release date of August 9, 2022. There has been an older Amazon page for the book for a while, with a now-expired release date of July 2021. The existence of the new trilogy from the Dragonlance Chronicles authors was revealed in 2020 when they initiated a lawsuit against WotC...

There's a new Amazon Kindle page for Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's new Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Deceit with a release date of August 9, 2022.

There has been an older Amazon page for the book for a while, with a now-expired release date of July 2021. The existence of the new trilogy from the Dragonlance Chronicles authors was revealed in 2020 when they initiated a lawsuit against WotC for breach of contract.

dragonlance.jpg

The book description reads as follows (typos are on the actual Kindle page):

The first new Dragonlance novel from Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman in over a decade, and featuring fan-favorite characters from the iconic first two trilogies, Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Legends--books that brought a generation of readers into the fantasy fold.

Destina Rosethorn--as her name implies--believes herself to be very much a favored child of destiny. But when her father dis in the War of the Lance, her carefully-constructed world comes crashing down. Not only does she lost her beloved father, but the legacy he has left her: a wealthy fiance, and rule over the family lands and castle. With nothing left in the world to support her but wits and determination, she hatches a bold plan: to secure the Device of Time Journeying she read about in one of her father's books and prevent her father's death.

The last known holder of the Device was one of the Heroes of the Lance: the free-spirited kender, Tasselhoff Burrfoot. BUt when Destina arrives in Solace--home not only to Tas, but to fellow heroes Caramon and Tika Majere--she sets into motion a chain of events more deadly than she had ever anticipated: one that could change not only her personal history, but the fate of the entire world, allowing a previously-defeated evil to once again gain ascendancy.

Dire Bare

Legend
I’m very happy for you. What a joy it must be to not give a damn about what other people care about.
Hoo-boy! Alrighty then . . . .

Putting aside that isn't what @Umbran said . . . . some folks have a lot of concern for maintaining canon, others don't.

Umbran isn't the only one who doesn't really care if Dragonlance is rebooted, if the storytelling is good. I don't either. Doesn't mean I don't care what you or others think, I just disagree (and don't really grok) with your point-of-view.

Dire Bare

Legend
So they are going with some variation of Jim Butcher's idea for a reboot?

"But I was going to change things where Tasslehoff hadn’t stolen Flint’s knife at the beginning, or Flint caught Tasslehoff trying to steal his knife because Tass didn’t make make his pickpocket roll. So a goblin was going to have wounded Tanis and they were going to have taken an extra fifteen minutes to bandage Tanis up before they rolled into town and that would’ve changed the entire scope of the Dragonlance War. I wanted to start with that little incident and go from there."

That was interesting to read! I had no idea Butcher was inches away from writing a Dragonlance reboot a decade or so ago!

Makes me feel, simultaneously . . . . I would LOVE to read a Jim Butcher Dragonlance novel, and . . . . I'm kinda glad that DIDN'T happen! Raistlin in the vein of Harry Dresden . . . .

I love the part at the end, "I think it’s a good game (4E). It’s a neat game. It’s just not D&D." Butcher's a true D&D nerd, with that 4E slam! :)

Dire Bare

Legend
This seems strange that a young heroine, said to possess both wits and perseverance,, upon being removed from the cozy future promised by her late father, instead of, you know:
  • get a job
  • become an adventurer
  • try to win back some of said heritage
  • whatever

decides: ''...well the only way is CLEARLY to find a time-traveling artifact to bring my father back''
I have to agree with this one! Destina is not only an awful name, but isn't sounding like a very strong, independent character for a protagonist. We'll see how it plays out in August!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hoo-boy! Alrighty then . . . .

Putting aside that isn't what @Umbran said . . . . some folks have a lot of concern for maintaining canon, others don't.

Umbran isn't the only one who doesn't really care if Dragonlance is rebooted, if the storytelling is good. I don't either. Doesn't mean I don't care what you or others think, I just disagree (and don't really grok) with your point-of-view.
Yeah, this is where I'm at. Time will tell how it pans out.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I have to agree with this one! Destina is not only an awful name, but isn't sounding like a very strong, independent character for a protagonist. We'll see how it plays out in August!
That's my problem.

From the blurb, she do not look like a sympathetic person.

"Imma erase that timeline so I can go back and score a rich husband and lord over my land and serfs given by my daddy''

yeah right....

Anyway, it can go anywhere from there, so it may not be as bad as it look.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I know folks have said that Weis & Hickman came up with Summer Flame and the War of Souls out of whole cloth, but if that's true it's a hell of a coincidence that those stories just happened to rationalize and legitimize mechanical changes in the game and systems. I see this new trilogy as being no different in that regard.
I don't know about the Summer Flame book, but it's never been a secret that the War of Souls was produced for the explicit purpose of trying to undo the major impact of the Age of Mortals and bring the fan base back together. Margaret Weis has openly said so:

War of Souls: Tracy and I had planned an entirely different series based on Summer Flame (which should have been a trilogy.) TSR took DL in a different direction, however. Unfortunately the 5th Age spit the fan base. When Peter Adkison took over the company, he asked Tracy and I to see what we could to bring everyone back together.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
True, time-travel wasn't involved in the Chaos War and the War of Souls events . . . .
Yes, it was. A significant plot-point in the War of Souls was that Tasslehoff had used the Device of Time Journeying to leap into the future moments before Chaos killed him, which is why he was in that trilogy at all.

Remove ads

Remove ads