D&D General New Summary and Release Date for 'Dragons of Deceit'

There's a new Amazon Kindle page for Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's new Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Deceit with a release date of August 9, 2022. There has been an older Amazon page for the book for a while, with a now-expired release date of July 2021. The existence of the new trilogy from the Dragonlance Chronicles authors was revealed in 2020 when they initiated a lawsuit against WotC...

There's a new Amazon Kindle page for Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's new Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Deceit with a release date of August 9, 2022.

There has been an older Amazon page for the book for a while, with a now-expired release date of July 2021. The existence of the new trilogy from the Dragonlance Chronicles authors was revealed in 2020 when they initiated a lawsuit against WotC for breach of contract.

dragonlance.jpg

The book description reads as follows (typos are on the actual Kindle page):

The first new Dragonlance novel from Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman in over a decade, and featuring fan-favorite characters from the iconic first two trilogies, Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Legends--books that brought a generation of readers into the fantasy fold.

Destina Rosethorn--as her name implies--believes herself to be very much a favored child of destiny. But when her father dis in the War of the Lance, her carefully-constructed world comes crashing down. Not only does she lost her beloved father, but the legacy he has left her: a wealthy fiance, and rule over the family lands and castle. With nothing left in the world to support her but wits and determination, she hatches a bold plan: to secure the Device of Time Journeying she read about in one of her father's books and prevent her father's death.

The last known holder of the Device was one of the Heroes of the Lance: the free-spirited kender, Tasselhoff Burrfoot. BUt when Destina arrives in Solace--home not only to Tas, but to fellow heroes Caramon and Tika Majere--she sets into motion a chain of events more deadly than she had ever anticipated: one that could change not only her personal history, but the fate of the entire world, allowing a previously-defeated evil to once again gain ascendancy.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You left out where Caramon and Tasslehoff went to wasteland-world, then traveled back in time from it and showed Raistlin what he was heading toward, and that was what made him change his mind. "Test of the Twins" revolves around an effort to change the past on a colossal scale--which succeeded.
That story literally doesn’t change the past, though! 😂 It went to a possible future and avoided it! You. Cannot possibly fail to see the difference.

This quibbly nonsense goes nowhere. This will be, if it is what it sounds like, the first time the series has invalidated what has come before.

Nit pick about the apperent rules of time travel all you want, it remains a distraction from the actual point.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Perhaps.

If they do a time-travel reboot a la J.J. Abrams Star Trek . . . . if they do a good job of it, I'm on board. It's all about the execution, not the concept itself.
Star Trek at least left the Prime timeline intact and continued to tell stories set there. All that movie stuff is literally an alternate universe.

Stormonu

Legend
Time travel shennanigins I don't have a problem with, it's already been documented in DL from the Twins novels.

Franchise reboots - that's where I'm starting to get ruffled. Lately, I've seen too many reboots that have been poorly executed, and by the looks of the bad ad copy from the first post, I don't have any faith that this is neither true nor going to be well-done.

I'm content to use my old materials for Dragonlance, and quite frankly won't even be giving this one a chance.

Changing the past does not change or erase the present or future, rather it causes branches in the timeline, creating variant futures. So all the old stories and plots and such will still exist, just not in the new created main timeline of Krynn. And Destina, who everyone will probably just call Tina, will find out that her home timeline cannot be changed, and she has to live with her father being dead, etc.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Time travel shennanigins I don't have a problem with, it's already been documented in DL from the Twins novels.

Franchise reboots - that's where I'm starting to get ruffled. Lately, I've seen too many reboots that have been poorly executed, and by the looks of the bad ad copy from the first post, I don't have any faith that this is neither true nor going to be well-done.

I'm content to use my old materials for Dragonlance, and quite frankly won't even be giving this one a chance.
Strongly inclined to do the same. That 3rd party Dragonlance 5e book that just came out gives me everything I need.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hoo-boy! Alrighty then . . . .

Putting aside that isn't what @Umbran said . . . . some folks have a lot of concern for maintaining canon, others don't.

Umbran isn't the only one who doesn't really care if Dragonlance is rebooted, if the storytelling is good. I don't either. Doesn't mean I don't care what you or others think, I just disagree (and don't really grok) with your point-of-view.
When I don’t care about something others do care about, I just keep my indifference to myself. Umbran’s post is essentially the same as saying “what you’re concerned about doesn’t matter.”

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
Yes, it was. A significant plot-point in the War of Souls was that Tasslehoff had used the Device of Time Journeying to leap into the future moments before Chaos killed him, which is why he was in that trilogy at all.

…and the timeline Tass described with Caramon’s funeral was the one I would want to see and sounded like

Dire Bare

Legend
When I don’t care about something others do care about, I just keep my indifference to myself. Umbran’s post is essentially the same as saying “what you’re concerned about doesn’t matter.”
Yeah, I didn't see that at all in his post. All I see is keeping the existing canon intact is important to you. It isn't to Umbran, or myself. Different strokes, no offense need be taken.

Remove ads

Remove ads