• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New to 5e, advice re Monk/Bard?

Harzel

Adventurer
Probably want to confirm with your DM (if you haven't already) that she will allow multiclassing - it's optional in 5e. If so, will the multiclassing stat prereqs be enforced? If so, you need at least 13 in WIS, DEX, and CHA. If you are rolling for stats, you may or may not get the needed stats. If standard array or point buy, you can do it, but it will introduce some significant constraints (though it needn't really hamper the character that much).

Also, in considering which class to start in, take a look at the Multiclassing Proficiencies table (p. 164); you get all proficiencies from the class you start in, but only some from the class that you pick up later.

Zardnaar

Legend
Even without MAD the two classes do not compliment each other that well. Monks have a lot tied up in making their physical attacks better and ki points, beyond a 1-2 level dip in fighter I would not MC a Monk at all.

Bards Can MC alright with Paladins and 2 level warlock dip.

Sleepy Walker

First Post
Bard is one of those magic classes where dumping the main casting stat (charisma) is not that damaging to a physical combat build, since unlike some other classes you still know just as many spells regardless of charisma. As long as you are trying to make your monk better or more versatile with magic, not damaging or hindering, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with a multiclass into bard. The only negative to having low charisma (assuming that is relatively low) with regard to a bard is that you have very few uses of bardic inspiration.

My suggestions for some good spells to take are.

Blade Ward (when you know there is a trap you have to go through)
Light
Mending

cure wounds
sleep
absorb elements (if gotten by lore or feat)
shield (if gotten by lore or feat)

Enhance Ability
Enlarge/Reduce (if gotten by lore, extra 1d4 damage for every attack)
Heat Metal (super good regardless of charisma)
invisibility
knock
shatter (destroy environment)
silence (stops most spells, spell casters, and useful in stealth ops)

There are viable spells to be had at all levels while maintaining low charisma, so feel free to pump up necessary ability scores for the monk (like dexterity, constitution, and wisdom) and enjoy those bardic spell slots.

*edit. Just use a component pouch for the material components of spells. Otherwise talk with your DM to make sure your unarmed attacks with your instrument does not regularly result in damage.

Last edited:

Wepwawet

Explorer
Like mentioned above, take a look a Backgrounds, they're great at defining a character.
You can have a Monk with the Entertainer background, or a Bard with the Hermit background (or something else that makes sense).

And then there's feats:
* Magic Initiate: a Monk can learn very useful Bard cantrips like Minor Illusion and Mage Hand, and Sleep once a day. There's other spells to choose from, but with these you don't need to invest much on Charisma
* Mobile
* Athlete: with these two you can make a Bard feel more like a Monk. There's probably more feats that would apply, but I don't remember any more now.

Bottom line is, you don't need multiclassing. In fact, you'll create a more effective Monk/Bard/Bard/Monk without it, as you won't suffer from MAD. There's lots of decision points in the development of your character, make sure to choose whatever makes it feel more like your intended concept.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Wow, excellent responses, and very informative. Thanks and I will take your advice about the build-search and about the Backgrounds (which I wasn't aware of).
In our first game of 5e, one of my players completely missed the backgrounds. She saw the chapter, thought "oh this is just a guide to roleplay" and skiped it. It's so much more than that!

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I will offer s humble piece of advice: if you are doing it because you think it would be cool, then do it. Don't worry about naysayers. If you are doing it primarily for mechanical advantage, perhaps give some of the advice here some weight.

I have finally come to the conclusion that combos and mechanics are fun but they do not sustain my interest in a campaign. I have to get into the character and see them in my mind's eye. A few extra bells and whistles are fun at first but in play if they don't come up much I am sort of bored.

If there is a reason that you think a bard monk would be fun, let no one dissuade you!

I think off kilter stuff is cool and refreshing. I have mentioned here I am going to play a really strong tough dwarven rogue with dex being the third or fourth highest stat. Which brings me to another point...

Not all the advice you get about something being "no good" is always accurate no many how times you see it in print. I have found several things to be very cool that others say are weak or under powered. Maybe I am just a really great player :) or, people worry about a +1 bonus too much.

Go forth and have fun!

rgoodbb

Adventurer
You could try Bard. Charisma and Dex High. Expertise in Acrobatics. Maybe could refluff/reflavour the spells to suit concept

One Inch Punch - Thunderwave

Disrupt Energy Flow - Bane

Slow Fall - Feather Fall

At Peace with Nature - Speak with Animals/Animal Friendship

See Chi - Faerie Fire

Fleet of Foot - Longstrider

Monastic Study - Comprehend Languages/Detect Magic/Identify

What do you want your character to be able to do?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am going to differ from the majority here and say it's a pretty good combination.

Here is a sample build: Half-elf, with standard array stats spread as follows:
str:10
dex: 16 (+1 half elf)
con: 14
int: 8
wis: 14 (+1 half elf)
cha: 14 (+2 half elf)

If you want to go grappler, you'd probably want to drop Con to 12 so you can increase strength (and then get athletics expertise with your bar levels). You could also go human with this build, depending on the feat you chose (probably a +1 to a stat type feat).

Remove ads