Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Meh, the gap isn’t that great unless the chain familiar can use its own actions however it wants on its turn.

And yet, I still think it’s silly to be mad that the invocation that sparked this discussion come in at 9th. 🤷‍♂️

The Chain Pact Familiar isn't terribly more useful in combat than the normal Familiar, though it is better. It is primarily useful for making the Warlock a weird, Eldritch skill monkey (Blade = Fighter-y, Time = Wizard-yz Chain = Rogue-y). At this, it is successful.

Ashrym

Legend
Wow it gives every spell-casting class the versatility of the wizard. And gives the wizard absolutely nothing.

There's spell versatility and cantrip versatility. Wizards are adding cantrip versatility too and it's just a respect option leveling up. It's going to the spell prep classes. Spell versatility allows spells known classes to swap a single spell on a long rest, which isn't even close to how the spell prep mechanic works.

Wizards also added 2 good rituals to mesh well with that mechanic, and a decent buff that used to be available or sorcs instead of wizzies. That last part seems a bit unfortunate to me but sorcs added more spells to the list than wizzies so c'est la vie.

renbot

Adventurer
Changing a cantrip at level up, or 1 single spell at a long rest, isn’t giving anyone the versatility of the wizard.
In some ways it makes them more versatile. Wizards get two spells per class level of their choice or on average four spells of each spell level, plus whatever scraps the DM and/or module decide to throw their way. So Wizards will NEVER be able to cast the vast majority of wizard spells.

With these variant rules every other spell-casting class can cast any single spell on their list with 8 hours of prep.

So yeah... Versatile.

Ashrym

Legend
For the wizard, I would have totally allowed them to add cantrips to their spellbook and select them each day along with the rest of their spells. It's a house rule I'd already be using if anyone had chosen wizard. I was also thinking of allowing other prepared casters similar versatility but this UA has beat me to it.

How does that work with sorcerers and warlocks? It seems to destroy the one of the sorc benefits (more cantrips) and only feature of tomelocks that doesn't cost an invocation. I can see a house rule like that in a private game that omits those options but I can't see it as a good idea for WotC to do that much damage to those classes in favor of wizards needing moar stuff. ;)

Ashrym

Legend
In some ways it makes them more versatile. Wizards get two spells per class level of their choice or on average four spells of each spell level, plus whatever scraps the DM and/or module decide to throw their way. So Wizards will NEVER be able to cast the vast majority of wizard spells.

With these variant rules every other spell-casting class can cast every single spell on their list with 8 hours of prep.

So yeah... Versatile.
It's true that this might look advantageous due to the spell book restriction, but it's still not better than swapping out multiple spells if spell swapping is important. It also ignores adding spells to the book outside of leveling if all we look at is the level up choices.

The issue is that it isn't every single spell. It's any single spell. Long rests also take 24 hours to gain benefits, not 8 hours.

It's not like where a wizard can swap to a standard downtime list in a day and back to an adventuring list in another day. I think the change in 5e to spell slots for spells prepped over individual preparation like we used to have did more for moving clerics, druids, paladins, and wizards towards 3.x bard and sorcerer styles than this change does to move bards, rangers, sorcerers, and warlocks towards wizards.

unknowable

Explorer
I would have to limit these to one choice per appropriate level.

Or it would just be a giant upgrade and no extra choices for classes that only get enhancements.

Also, hilarious that WotC came up with the same hunters mark/favoured enemy solution I came up with around 2 years ago.

Remove ads

Remove ads