Unearthed Arcana New UA: 43 D&D Class Feature Variants

The latest Unearthed Arcana is a big 13-page document! “Every character class in D&D has features, and every class gets one or more class feature variants in today’s Unearthed Arcana! These variants replace or enhance a class’s normal features, giving you new ways to enjoy your character’s class.”

B080A4DE-6E00-44A2-9047-F53CB302EA6D.png

Last edited:

"Full movement" means to move your base speed. You have to use your action to Dash to move up to your base speed again. Casting a spell is usually an action, but some spells can be cast as a Bonus action or Reaction.

So it is possible to move your full movement rate and cast a spell as an Action.

It is also possible to move your full movement, Dash to move your full movement again, and cast a spell as a Bonus action.
My dm said spellcasters dont get bonus actions that can be used on spells. Untrue?

tglassy

Adventurer
My dm said spellcasters dont get bonus actions that can be used on spells. Untrue?

Very Untrue. Many spells specifically state they are Bonus Actions.

Now, whether you cast a spell with an Action or a bonus action, you can’t cast another one unless it’s a cantrip. So you can’t cast a slotted spell as an action and then another as a bonus action. But you could cast a Cantrip as an action and then a slotted spell as a bonus action, or a Sorcerer could cast a spell as an action and then quicken a cantrip as a bonus action.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster

there are some spells that are bonus actions to cast. Most are not.

Sorcerers have Quicken spell that they can take to make a spell a bonus action

standard reminder: if you cast ANY bonus action spell on a turn the only other kind of spell you can cast that round is a cantrip. That is tru beige and after. So if you cast a standard action spell, you can’t then cast a bonus action spell.

Chaosmancer

Legend

Partially true.

If you cast a spell, you cannot cast another full spell as a bonus action. But you can cast cantrips.

If you do any other action, you can cast bonus action spells just fine.

If you cast a bonus action spell, you can cast cantrips, but not full spells with your action.

It seems confusing, but the basic version is you cannot use two spell slots to cast a spell in one turn.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Untrue. As @tglassy said, many spells are specifically cast as Bonus actions, and a Sorcerer can spend sorcery points to use Quicken Spell to cast almost any spell as a Bonus action.

There is a special rule about casting two spells on your turn: one of them has to be a cantrip. Most cantrips can only be cast as Actions, so if you use your action (say, to Dash or Disengage, or to cast a spell) you won't also cast a cantrip. Note that Reactions can take place outside of your turn, so you can cast a Reaction spell (like hellish rebuke or shield) even if you have already cast one or more spells on your previous turn.

JoeyD473

Explorer
I haven't completely read through everything yet but I feel like cantrip versatility shouldn't be every level, but should be available every 4 with the ability score boosts

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases