• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New UE Classes

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
But it doesn't matter anymore, because this thread has become yet another warlord thread of the type I thought had died out a year ago...
I do actually agree with you that there's little chance that WotC will actually release a class named warlord, or a class that attempts to really fill that niche. (Valor bard, BM fighter, PDK fighter have warlord-esque features but aren't really a warlord, IMO.) Plus, there are several third party products that more than adequately fill that niche if one is really desired.

My personal wishlist is that WotC would periodically (say, twice a year) list several DMs Guild product and sanction them as AL-legal, thus giving them the imprimatur of "officialness" without requiring them to publish books of new crunch.

My personal wishlist is that WotC would periodically (say, twice a year) list several DMs Guild product and sanction them as AL-legal, thus giving them the imprimatur of "officialness" without requiring them to publish books of new crunch.
That's a neat idea, and possibly worthy of its own thread to discuss pros/cons.

But, really, the AL is small. In the range of 1600 stores in the US and Canada. 10-20,000 players out of several million D&D players. It's like 1% of people who play D&D. I'm not sure vetting products for use in Organised Play would be worth the time it would take...

Yes it will. I hate to speculate about things like that, though, until there's a playtest version or something to discuss. 5e class design is concept-first, and the Warlord concept exists in formal-Role-constrained form in its 4e incarnation, and in what fans did with it to push the envelope a tad.
Yep. I'm not asking what the warlord might use if it is made an official class. I'm asking you what you would like to see the Warlord's power based on.
I'm not expecting any form of consensus; just your opinion as someone who seems to know a lot about that class in its previous incarnation.
Sorry I am completely missing how you can make that response to me talking about how to encourage Warlords to use Strength.

(Merely requiring the Warlord to be able to hit the monsters does nothing to promote Strength. You can hit things just fine with Dex and Finesse)

Perhaps you read "Cha" when I wrote "Dex"...? :confused:
No. I read what you wrote. I was addressing the issue of Warlords being able to become another 'stand back and 'cast' class rather than a more martial leader.

To address the point that you bring up though: given that fully dex-based melee Fighters are a thing in 5e, why do you think a Warlord should require Strength more than a Fighter.

What I am talking about is that 5E lacks the terminology to separate between "a regular attack, one that you can apply any game effect to" (I don't know: paladin smites; sneak damage; the +10 from greatweapon mastery just to pick three) and a "restricted limited attack that is ability plus weapon and nothing else".
Ah. I did touch on whether a Warlord's granted attack should or shouldn't allow the ally to apply their full benefits to the granted attack. Or whether it should be just weapon damage + attribute modifier. (Although I suggested the warlord's attribute mod rather than the ally's.)

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
That's a neat idea, and possibly worthy of its own thread to discuss pros/cons.

But, really, the AL is small. In the range of 1600 stores in the US and Canada. 10-20,000 players out of several million D&D players. It's like 1% of people who play D&D. I'm not sure vetting products for use in Organised Play would be worth the time it would take...
Sure, I don't think it's worth it for WotC just for AL use; I think stamping it for AL use encourages the contingent of people who only want to use "official material" in their games a reason to take a look at using a broader swath of electronic material. And I (anecdotally, of course) think the contingent of people who only like to use official material is fairly large.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I do actually agree with you that there's little chance that WotC will actually release a class named warlord, or a class that attempts to really fill that niche.
Sadly, I can't strongly disagree with that estimate, myself. It seems realistic to think that fear of a renewed attack on WotC & their IP by it's most militant fans would make that the more prudent move.
I'm just not ready to give up on the noble-sounding goals outlined in the playtest, and so hope that we may yet be pleasantly surprised.

Yep. I'm not asking what the warlord might use if it is made an official class. I'm asking you what you would like to see the Warlord's power based on.I'm not expecting any form of consensus; just your opinion as someone who seems to know a lot about that class in its previous incarnation.
I'd like to see it based on the concept presented in 4e, how that was developed by players in 4e, on the concepts that past editions presented for the fighter but lacked the mechanics or design space to follow through on, and, more generally, on both the archetypes of warriors who use tactical acumen and charisma (natural language meaning, in D&D that'd be the stat, skills, and class abilities) to help their allies, and even virtual non-combatants who play a similar role in a different way.

As far as mechanics go, I'm more than willing to give the 5e concept-first design philosophy every chance to come up with something. It doesn't need to be encounters & dailies like in 4e, but it should have a real and dynamic impact, which, in D&D seems hard to justify without some sort of resource in the equation.

For instance, 5e made the STR/DEX decision for weapon users pretty seamless, there'd be no reason to mess with that to make them exclusively STR-based just because they were in 4e - a Warlord primarily using a bow or rapier would be just fine. OTOH, INT and CHA are clearly suggested by the concept (and WIS wouldn't be out of line, either), and action-granting would seem equally well-suited to 5e which has a very similar set of on-turn actions (Action:Standard; Move:Move; Object Interaction/Bonus Action:Minor).

And, while 5e eschews formal Roles, opening up classes to a broader range of abilities, and any official Warlord should certainly take advantage of that, developing aspects of the class that were constrained because they'd get into the controller role, it still does need a range of contributions from PCs to make a party work, and the Warlord's would clearly tend towards support contributions. Those currently can't be adequately provided without a caster, so not only would it be in keeping with the Warlord concept and it's past implementation, it'd expand the range of parties, play styles, and campaigns 5e could handle.

No. I read what you wrote. I was addressing the issue of Warlords being able to become another 'stand back and 'cast' class rather than a more martial leader.

Ah. I did touch on whether a Warlord's granted attack should or shouldn't allow the ally to apply their full benefits to the granted attack. Or whether it should be just weapon damage + attribute modifier. (Although I suggested the warlord's attribute mod rather than the ally's.)
The less you ('you' as in the designer, DM or even the players) want to disrupt the turn sequence, the more the design could edge towards having the action initiated on the Warlord's turn resolved primarily by that player. The more you want to engage other players and open up RP opportunities, the more you could edge towards other players handling the resolution. In an ideal design, that preference could be left to player choices and DM rulings - which would also certainly be in keeping with 5e philosophies.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'd like to see a finished Artificer and Psion (I guess the name Mystic us okay).

Other than that I would not be unhappy to see a proper Warlord. Maybe reverse the dynamic of the other attempts and have the core class be all about the action granting and buffs and debuffs and the subclasses providing the degree by which they are similar to a fighter, rogue, ranger, or other martial archetype? (Or even none of them - it is often fun to have "Warlords" be story-wise non-combatants or non-adventurer types, usually like a Noble)

Some posts here have convinced me that a Shaman might be nice, but I'm not sure that can't be done as a beastmaster druid (spiritmaster, really) but I could be wrong.

They should be very careful adding classes, though.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Tony Vargas

Legend
Other than that I would not be unhappy to see a proper Warlord. Maybe reverse the dynamic of the other attempts and have the core class be all about the action granting and buffs and debuffs and the subclasses providing the degree by which they are similar to a fighter, rogue, ranger, or other martial archetype? (Or even none of them - it is often fun to have "Warlords" be story-wise non-combatants or non-adventurer types, usually like a Noble)
That would be an interesting approach. There could be room for an Ardent or other supernatural take, too.

Some posts here have convinced me that a Shaman might be nice, but I'm not sure that can't be done as a beastmaster druid (spiritmaster, really) but I could be wrong.
Depends on the idea of the Shaman (and druid), I guess. Does 5e really go into the Druid as a primal-spirits class? I didn't get that impression, though I may have been so distracted with the mechanics being closer than they had been in decades to the 1e druids I enjoyed so much back in the day, and missed the fluff, entirely. ;) If they can reconcile primal spirit magic and neo-Vancian casting for the Druid, it could work for the Shaman. If they want to put a more unique mechanical spin on that or a more traditional (RL not D&D tradition, D&D hasn't tackled animism much, IIRC) take on Animism, a new class might be a very interesting way to go.

gyor

Legend
I'd like to see a finished Artificer and Psion (I guess the name Mystic us okay).

They should be very careful adding classes, though.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

I still prefer calling the class Psion. In D&D the Mystic class has always been a divine charisma caster that doesn't rely on armour and melee weapons.

I'd like artificer, psion, binder and shaman, and Shadowcaster. I figure I'll get at least two of those, maybe 3 as there has been talk by mearl's of a shaman class.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads