New Unarmed Feats

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzy

First Post
Blow of Steel
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Str 13
Benefit: You may expend a use of Stunning Fist to deal 1d6 additional damage on a sucessful unarmed attack. This attack must be declared before the attack roll is made.

Ki Critical
Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), BAB +6, Stunning Fist, Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: Your threat range is doubled on unarmed attacks. This does not stack with Improved Critical.

see version 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Velmont

First Post
fuzzy said:
Blow of Steel
Benefit: You may expend a use of Stunning Fist to deal 1d6 additional damage on a sucessful unarmed attack. This attack must be declared before the attack roll is made.

Seems pretty fine with me.

fuzzy said:
Ki Critical
Prerequisites: Ki Strike (magic), BAB +6, Stunning Fist, Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: Your threat range is doubled on unarmed attacks. This does not stack with Improved Critical.

Why that feat when Improved Critical already exist? The only reason I see, it is t gain it sooner if you are a monk, which I don't see the need.

JimAde

First Post
fuzzy said:
Blow of Steel

This is nearly identical (if not exactly so) to the Iron Fist feat in Complete Warrior. So balance should not be an issue. :)

fuzzy said:
Ki Critical

I'm with Velmont on this. Very similar to Improved Crit. Are we missing something?

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think it is pretty clear that the second feat exists merely to give monks Improved Crit sooner, so I would say no on the second, yes on the first. Not a judge, though.

fuzzy

First Post
Yeah, the idea of Ki Critical was to get Monk's threat range widened at the same time as all the other frontliners.

Velmont

First Post
I don't see it a necessity. All frontliners don't have to be equals. After all, the monk is the first frontline to have 2 attacks. The ranger have it at 2nd level (Combat Style) and all otehrs must spend feat to have it. And the monk is the only one that will become +0/+0 instead of -2/-2... Anyway, my point is what the point to have many different class if we want them all identical, and all with the best of each? And it is not that a big deal to have it 3 level laters...

Bront

The man with the probe
I agree with all the other comments (Except apparently for KO's vote) that the 1st one seems fair (It's about in line with Psionic Weapon/Fist), and the second feat is unnessessary, as it only functions to make an existing feat available sooner than it otherwise might normaly be.

My suggestion instead, which I think might be more useful. Up the BAB REQ to +8, add Improved Critical (Unarmed), and the feat instead increases the critical multiplier of unarmed attacks by 1.

Last edited:

LogicsFate

First Post
Monks doing a potential x3, interesting, balanced by their set low crit range. I see to over reaching problem with it

Velmont

First Post
Bront said:
My suggestion instead, which I think might be more useful. Up the BAB REQ to +8, add Improved Critical (Unarmed), and the feat instead increases the critical multiplier of unarmed attacks by 1.

That make the feat more stronger, as 19/x3 is better than 18/x2, but at least it bring something new. But I'm trying to think to the high level monk who roll 3d20 for damage... that's can be a lot of damage... I must say that I don't know if it is a good idea for a feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads