D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild! Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose? Playtest now: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthedarcana/folk_feywild

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

I don't think that flying speed equal to walking speed is too unbalanced, but it depends on the campaign I guess. If everyone they encounter has ranged weapons such as bows or firearms, it's not a huge advantage in combat against other humanoids. I guess flying could be a problem for hazards, traps and obstacles if there's a lot of those things.

OB1

Jedi Master
Freaking love this UA. Cant decide if I'd rather see this in a Feywild AP or CSG. Would make a great companion to the Ravenloft CSG coming out. Which makes me wonder, is there a classic fey themed setting that could be merged with the Feywild concept for this like the Shadowfell is with Ravenloft?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
While these ones are less flashy than the gothic ones from last UA, this way of doing ancestries really is more appealing to me than what's presented in the PHB.
I’m glad to see that when it’s a race, rather than a weird supernatural gift thing, you can still get proficiencies where they make sense.
With the racial spells being able to be cast with spell slots as well, it's looking more and more like pre-tashas needs errata because that's a great change.
Yeah it’s a pretty obvious case for errata especially for all the features that say you “learn” the spell, but fail to clarify that this means you can cast it with spell slots.
It seems weird that the rabbit folk are not faster than typical humanoids.
They are, if they hop, but yeah I’d have also made them 35ft speed.
Hmm... The names seem awfully generic and there isn't much lore on each race. I'm going out on a limb they are placeholder info for some rules and the real lore if being hidden to not give away the project...

Anyone know enough about MTG lore to see if these line up with any creature types? Lorwyn perhaps?

I could be wrong, but this feels a little like the centaur minotaur UA or the School of Invention/Circle of Spores UA...
Eldraine, I think?

Sir Brennen

Legend
The loss of racial ASIs hurts with loss of flavor or giving a hint towards what sort of roles a species will gravitate to. Hobgoblin is the most powerful, I think.
Does a race have to gravitate to a particular role?
Not interested in seeing any of these at my table.
Definitely going to skip whatever book these are from.
Even if the book had plenty of other material not related to a couple pages of races?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Boring.

The loss of racial ASIs hurts with loss of flavor or giving a hint towards what sort of roles a species will gravitate to. Hobgoblin is the most powerful, I think.
All right, please explain this: why do you need for each race to gravitate towards a specific class officially? And how does the ASI really give all that much of a hint? I mean, elves get +2 Dex, but I'm pretty sure that most people don't think of them as Rogues or Monks, which are the primary Dex-based class. Heck, back in 3e, their favored class was Wizard and the didn't get any Int bonus back then.

Remove ads

Remove ads