D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild! Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose? Playtest now: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthedarcana/folk_feywild

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

Faolyn

(she/her)
I honestly find leaving suggested languages out is weirder than explicitly letting groups be flexible with stats.

By default, most of these folks should be speaking Sylvan or Goblin. It's weird to me that's not said. But again, at my table, they will be. 🤷‍♂️
They have stated that languages are cultural. A rabbitfolk that grew up in a human city won't automatically know Sylvan; likewise, a human that grew up in the Feywild probably would know Sylvan.

ccooke

Adventurer
They have stated that languages are cultural. A rabbitfolk that grew up in a human city won't automatically know Sylvan; likewise, a human that grew up in the Feywild probably would know Sylvan.

I think the way they should handle this is with a sidebar that suggests "Any of these races which grew up in the Feywild ... " along with perhaps an example for how they could be worked into other settings. Suggestions are good, after all.

Remathilis

Legend

Still, it wouldn't hurt for them to say "many but not all fairies speak sylvan in addition to common" if only to give some guidance to DMs who do want some generic guidance for NPCs...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Hobgoblins in my main setting are already originally fey. They lost a war to the elves and were banished, losing most of their feyness.

Someone call the Pun Police on the Rabbitfolk feature.
They look a lot like the Hobgoblins from Shadow of the Demon Lord.

In addition, in SotDL, they all look the same, they have both gender and their name is a quirky combination of 3 different numbers with strange significations.

Pretty funny stuff.

ccooke

Adventurer
Interestingly, Owlfolk have stealth skill proficiency, and rabbitfolk have proficiency in perception. So racial skill proficiency is still a racial ability, leaving things like Keen Senses or Natural Athlete on the table...
That's how they have presented this change in everything we have seen so far.

Remove ads

Remove ads