D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild! Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose? Playtest now: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthedarcana/folk_feywild

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I feel that you might be on to something here. This doesn't feel like Kaldheim or Innistrad.

Strixhaven is the upcoming Magic: the Gathering Set, which is set in a Magic University (nothing like Hogwarts, perish the thought) that has five Houses each founded by an Elder Dragon, and has Owl people and some other Fey things going on. This could fit both the Draconic Subclasses and the Fey lineages. We don't know to much about it, but there are Humanoid Owl people, for sure, and Dragons.
I was hoping for Eldraine, but I will definitely take Strixhaven. I have a bunch of wizard player characters in my campaign(s) and I am always on the lookout for good magical settings. And Strixhaven would likely mean a ton of additional arcane spells, monsters and subclasses, which are all my favorite things.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I honestly find leaving suggested languages out is weirder than explicitly letting groups be flexible with stats.

By default, most of these folks should be speaking Sylvan or Goblin. It's weird to me that's not said. But again, at my table, they will be. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, I find the lack of default languages weird and unhelpful. By all means, specify that a given character can change the language, but provide a default.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yes, I find the lack of default languages weird and unhelpful. By all means, specify that a given character can change the language, but provide a default.
This isn't a new problem, though. Tabaxi in Volo's don't have a language of their own. Given that they live in their own society in the jungle, this seems unlikely. (And yes, I know there's historical precedent for it. It's a silly thing to bring forward.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was hoping for Eldraine, but I will definitely take Strixhaven. I have a bunch of wizard player characters in my campaign(s) and I am always on the lookout for good magical settings. And Strixhaven would likely mean a ton of additional arcane spells, monsters and subclasses, which are all my favorite things.
Previously, they've only done well established Magic Settings, but doing a 1-2 punch of traditional D&D Setting with a new Magic Setting that fills a unique niche...that seems smart to me. Interestingly, I think that Candlekeep Mysteries would work nicely with either (or both?) Setting.

While I think this is another try at seeing if flight passes the test with what's acceptable for race/lineage abilities. I'm sure that if it does we'll see clarifications about armor usage and carrying capacity while flying.

Maybe further down the list is overland movement and fly speed. Is it more tiring than walking?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Not the direction of the game.

No culture. No ASI. No Alignment.

:sleep:
While I do think they should do default languages, I think culture is probably going to be a part of setting books. I can imagine them doing something like the 3e forgotten realms which had regions which were used for feats but instead used for languages and such.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think the way they should handle this is with a sidebar that suggests "Any of these races which grew up in the Feywild ... " along with perhaps an example for how they could be worked into other settings. Suggestions are good, after all.
Agreed--and hopefully they will do just that in the final product, whatever it is.

Remove ads

Remove ads