D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild! Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose? Playtest now: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthedarcana/folk_feywild

Wander into the magical realm of the Feywild with our latest Unearthed Arcana: Folk of the Feywild!

Your character can be a member of one of the new D&D races: fairy, hobgoblin of the Feywild, owlfolk, or rabbitfolk. Which will you choose?

Playtest now:

45029A1A-E1B6-4BBD-93DB-33A363112735.jpeg

Weiley31

Legend
Alright: So two things I've noticed with this UA: The fact that they have gone back to the idea of Mono-Typing. Which in my opinion is that Mono-Typing is better instead of trying to Dual-Type everything, I get that it's a kind of balancing since some typing, like Fey, can cause issues with the DM when it comes to how spells affect said typing. I mean, I guess I'd be okay with the "lesser of the two evils" type deal in allowing both Mono AND Dual Typing. Which leads to the second thing in regards to this article....

Only the Fairy is typed as Fey. Meaning we have another Fey character option to add alongside the Centaur and Satyr. All of the other Lineages in this article is typed as Humanoid. Which to me, especially when labeling this Lineage UA article as "Folks of the Feywild" seems, again, a bit of a cop-out. Even if you make the argument that the Owlfolk and Rabbitfolk deserve their typing as "Humanoid," we already have the "regular" Warrior-Klingon Hobgoblins which are Humanoid in that regard to their current typing. Giving the Feywild Hobgoblin "Fey Ancestry" seems like a skirting around the issue deal in which WoTC tried to say *Oh well they from the Feywild cuz they got Fey Ancestry see? Totally the same thing."

So basically, unlike the Gothic Lineages from the prior UA, this one only technically has one Feywild option. The rest are pretty much generic forest critters and something that is probably best renamed/reskinned as a Pooka, Spriggan, or whatever else. Yet it makes no sense to not have all of the Lineages in this one be Mono-Typed as Fey. Headache for DMs or balancing issues by doing that? WoTC already showed it has no probs with such a thing or has faith in DMs to account for it since they not only gave us PC options that were a bit stronger than the default PHB listings(hello Volo and its disclaimer.), but also gave us Satyr and Centaurs with their mono-typing. Which still probably requires DMs to still give their approval based on table.

Shrugs

Weiley31

Legend
These seem fun. Why the Owlfolk doesn't get proficiency in Perception automatically is beyond me,
I still personally believe that Lineages should be a overlay mesh that you apply on top of your race selection OR to your Custom Race character Doing that, in this regard: applying the *Owlfolk Lineage over on top of the Planeshift Hawk Aven,* would pretty much give you an Owl Person that has Perception AND makes a great sniper.

Weiley31

Legend
Which makes me wonder, is there a classic fey themed setting that could be merged with the Feywild concept for this like the Shadowfell is with Ravenloft?
Well MtG has Throne of Eldraine which pretty much has their Fey inhabiting the woods outside of the five major kingdoms.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here's a picture including a Owl-type Aven Wizard from Strixhaven:

1615509570461.png

Remove ads

Remove ads